Man shot by police
is in stable condition

A man who engaged in a shootout with police officers Friday night is in stable condition at a hospital, a Tucson official says.

Two Tucson police officers were serving a search warrant about 7:30 p.m. on an apartment in the 2600 block of North 14th Avenue, near West Glenn Street and North Oracle Road.

Before the officers even got to the door, though, 36-year-old Michael Castillo came out and ran away, said Sgt. Pete Dugan, spokesman for the Tucson Police Department.

Castillo “is believed to be involved in multiple incidents involving narcotics and weapons offenses,” Dugan said.

During the chase through the apartment complex, “a confrontation ensued and multiple gunshots were exchanged between the subject and officers,” Dugan said.

Castillo was struck several times. He was taken to a hospital where he was in stable condition Saturday afternoon.

The officers were uninjured.

Detectives from the TPD homicide, night detectives and gang units, and the Office of Internal Affairs are investigating the shooting.

As is standard practice in all shootings involving officers, the homicide unit will conduct a criminal investigation, Dugan said.

“Additionally, the Office of Internal Affairs will conduct a separate and administrative investigation to examine the actions of department personnel in response to this incident.”

Driver fatally strikes man in South Tucson

A 43-year-old man was struck and killed by a car whose driver was chasing him, South Tucson police said.

The slaying occurred in an alley near South Fifth Avenue and 31st Street, police said in a news release. South Tucson police officers found the man there about 7:45 a.m. Saturday after receiving a report of a man being struck by a vehicle. The victim was taken to a hospital where he was pronounced dead. His name wasn’t releasing pending notification of family.

The suspect vehicle is described as a small silver four-door sedan that sustained substantial damage to both its left front and left rear.

It appears that the incident covered several blocks and there may be additional witnesses yet to come forward, South Tucson police said.

Anyone with information should call 911 or 88-CRIME.

Arizona Daily Star

Man stuns officer
with Taser, is killed

PHOENIX — Phoenix police say a man was fatally shot after using a Taser to stun an officer.

Police spokesman Tommy Thompson says 32-year-old Jefferson Duncan was shot multiple times after he tried to keep using the Taser.

Thompson says the 37-year-old officer was doing off-duty security with another officer at an apartment complex when Duncan and 40-year-old Jonathan Parker showed “suspicious” behavior.

Authorities say the officer was about to handcuff him when Duncan “tased” him.

The officer says Duncan then aimed the Taser at his head and demanded his release.

The Associated Press

The officer says he used his firearm on Duncan, who died at a hospital.

The 37-year-old officer was treated and released and is on administrative leave.

Police arrested Parker, who has an outstanding misdemeanor warrant.