Steak-knife stabbing kills Tucson man
A Tucson woman used a steak knife to fatally stab her partner Friday night, police said.
Rene Lynne Kemp, 40, is facing a charge of first-degree murder in the death of the man with whom she was living, Sgt. Chris Widmer,a spokesman for the Tucson Police Department, said in a news release.
Police were called to a home in the 2300 block of South Saddleback Avenue at East Golf Links Road about 10:45 p.m. When they arrived, they found a 44-year-old man dead.
Kemp, two children she had with the victim and a male friend of the victim were at the home when police arrived, Widmer said.
Detectives "determined that the victim and (Kemp) had a domestic relationship and lived in the home together with their two children," Widmer said. Earlier in the night, Kemp and the victim had an "altercation" and the victim called a friend to pick him up.
"After the friend arrived, the victim began packing some belongings to leave for the night," Widmer said. That's when Kemp "went to the kitchen, armed herself with a steak knife and stabbed the victim in the chest before he could leave. The victim struck (Kemp) several times after being stabbed, causing her injuries."
Kemp was taken to a hospital with minor head injuries before police booked her into the Pima County jail.
The victim's name has not been released.
Cigarette starts fire; damage is $10,000
A cigarette improperly disposed of caused almost $10,000 in damage to an east-side Tucson home Saturday afternoon.
Calls to 911 about 1:30 p.m. reported smoke coming from the roof of a home in the 8500 block of East Ruby Drive between East Golf Links and Stella roads.
When fire crews arrived, the homeowner was trying to extinguish the flames with a garden hose, Capt. Barrett Baker, a spokesman for the Tucson Fire Department, said in a news release. As a result, the man was burned on an arm. He was treated at the scene but did not want to be taken to a hospital.
Though the fire was on the back porch, "flames did spread into the house and crews pulled down the ceiling drywall to extinguish any other flames inside and prevent the fire from spreading further," Baker said. Firefighters "pulled the hose in through the front door to prevent the fire from spreading further into the home."
It took nine units and 23 firefighters 12 minutes to control the fire, which started in "a container used to collect cigarette butts that was placed in an exterior corner (and) caught fire, allowing fire to travel up the exterior wall," Baker said. Damage was estimated at less than $10,000.
On StarNet: Find an interactive crime map for Tucson and Pima County at azstarnet.com/crimemap
Kimberly Matas Kimberly Matas