New Tucson restaurant damaged by fire

2013-07-19T00:00:00Z 2013-07-19T08:04:51Z New Tucson restaurant damaged by fireKimberly Matas, Arizona Daily Star Arizona Daily Star
July 19, 2013 12:00 am  • 

An electrical malfunction in the attic of a new Tucson restaurant was responsible for a fire early Thursday, an official said.

An off-duty dispatcher for the Tucson Fire Department saw smoke and flames coming from the roof of the building while driving to work and called it in, Capt. Barrett Baker, spokesman for the Tucson Fire, said in a news release.

Firefighters were dispatched about 3:45 a.m. to Cancun's at 6135 E. 22nd Street, west of South Wilmot Road, and arrived within three minutes.

It took nine units and 23 firefighters 17 minutes to bring the blaze under control. The interior of the restaurant was damaged by smoke, but the majority of the fire damage was confined to the roof, Baker said.

The restaurant had only been open a few weeks.

Copyright 2014 Arizona Daily Star. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Activate

Follow the Arizona Daily Star


Deals, offers & events

View more...

Let Crystal Clean restore that beautiful view!

Call Crystal Clean today!  520-325-7829

Get weekly ads via e-mail