The mother of a Tucson man shot and killed in 2010 told a judge that her 13-year-old granddaughter lost her best friend, her hero and her motivation with her father’s death.

For months after Christopher Montaño’s death, all the girl, who was 11 at the time, wanted to do was stay home and lay in one of his shirts just so she could smell him, Sylvia Hood said at the sentencing hearing of Mario Ramon-Antonio Acedo.

Acedo, 21, was found guilty of first degree murder, aggravated assault with a deadly weapon, two counts of armed robbery with a deadly weapon, and two counts of kidnapping in connection with the Aug. 27, 2010 slaying of 27-year-old Montaño.

He was sentenced to life in prison with the possibility of release after 25 years.

Montaño agreed to go with his friend, Ciprian Vasile, to buy $20 worth of marijuana. When the pair arrived at a shopping center near East 36th Street and South Country Club Road, Acedo jumped in the backseat of the car and said he was going to rob them and then shot Montaño.

When Vasile tried to leave, Jarrett C. Carter, broke the window to try to take the car keys, cut himself and left DNA behind.

Vasile took Montaño to the hospital where he later died.

There is no excuse for what Acedo did to her only son, Hood told Pima County Superior Court Judge Howard Hantman.

Acedo’s defense attorney Brick Storts, asked Hantman to consider that his client came from a broken home, has had problems with drugs and had no structure in his life from an early age which led to his self-destructive behavior.

Acedo has insisted he didn’t kill Montaño and continues to maintain his innocence, Storts said.

Carter and Aerath C. Hubert, the man who set up the drug deal, were convicted of first-degree felony murder, and two counts of attempted armed robbery and were both previously sentenced to life in prison with the possibility of with the possibility of parole.

Contact reporter Veronica Cruz at or at 573-4224.

Senior Editor, News, Arizona Daily Star, Tucson, Az.

Comments disabled.