Tucson police checking bodies of water for clues to missing girl

2012-04-26T13:10:00Z 2013-09-10T17:14:32Z Tucson police checking bodies of water for clues to missing girlArizona Daily Star Arizona Daily Star
April 26, 2012 1:10 pm  • 

6 p.m. Update — Tucson police officers have begun checking bodies of water near the neighborhood of missing first-grader Isabel Celis, said police Chief Roberto Villaseñor.

He said officers are primarily checking the water areas for any signs that may be connected to Isabel’s disappearance.

Officers are not going into the water and no dive teams have been called in, he said. The searching now is just visual.

Officers have looked around the lake at Charles Ford/Lakeside Park, east of Pantano Road and south of East Golf Links Road, and several water retention basins in the area, he said.

The search for Isabel is now in its sixth day. She was reported missing from her home on Saturday morning.

Villaseñor said officers are still interviewing people in the area around Isabel’s house. He said anyone who lives in the vicinity of the home who hasn’t been contacted by police should call 88-CRIME to set up an interview.

“We want to talk to everyone,” he said Thursday evening. “If anyone has information on this investigation we definitely would love to talk to them.”

Villaseñor said the department is keeping track of the cost of the investigation, which at its peak included about 200 officers searching for the girl. He said the cost so far has not been determined and that the department is prepared to deal with it.

FBI profilers are still involved in the case, he said. He said he didn’t know if the specially trained agents have questioned Isabel’s family.

On 'Most Wanted' show

Celis case is now prominently featured on the website of America’s Most Wanted.

The TV show’s homepage shows a photo of Isabel, a synopsis of the case, her description and a phone number for tips in the case, 1-800-CRIME-TV. The show airs Friday nights on the Lifetime channel.

Meanwhile, Tucson police are into their sixth day of searching for Isabel, who was first reported missing from her midtown home on Saturday morning.

Few new details in the investigation were released today in two separate press conferences about the search for Isabel.

The search for the 6-year-old is now more focused and based on leads and developments in the police investigation, Lt. Fabian Pacheco said at a news conference at noon today.

Copyright 2014 Arizona Daily Star. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Activate

Follow the Arizona Daily Star

Deals, offers & events

View more...
Get weekly ads via e-mail