With the glorious Fourth within sight, pianist Paul Joseph Kohler celebrates with some musical fireworks at a recital Tuesday at the Arizona Senior Academy at Academy Village.
The recital takes place at 11:30 a.m. in the Great Room of the Senior Academy building.
Kohler, who is studying for a master's degree in piano performance at the University of Arizona, offers a patriotic, all-American program filled with the beloved, the familiar and the unusual.
The program will include three preludes by George Gershwin and some pieces by pianist/transcriber Earl Wild, the "Seven Virtuoso Etudes on Popular Songs," based on Gershwin classics such as "The Man I Love," "Fascinating Rhythm" and "I Got Rhythm."
Some American folk music comes our way courtesy of cowboy-turned-pianist David Guion, as Kohler plays Guion's version of "The Arkansas Traveler," "The Scissors Grinder" and "The Harmonica Player."
The program ends with a familiar work, the "Marines' Hymn," transformed, as Kohler plays a rarely heard concert paraphrase on the work by Jakob Gimpel.
Kohler began studying music at the age of 12, showing a gift for the piano, organ and composition. He has performed at the McClelland Arts Center and the Columbia Theater, both in Longview, Wash., and other venues.
In 2010 he completed undergraduate studies in music and philosophy at Utah Valley University. He has studied with several well-known teachers and his current instructor is the esteemed teacher and performer Paula Fan of Tucson.
About Academy Village
• Events are held in the Great Room of the Arizona Senior Academy Building adjacent to the Academy Village Community Center, 13715 E. Langtry Lane.
• Nonresidents who want to ensure priority seating can make reservations by emailing email@example.com or calling 647-0980.
• To learn more about the academy, go to www.asa-tucson.org online.
• Visitors can buy lunch at the Academy Cafe across the courtyard from the Arizona Senior Academy Building. The cafe is open 11 a.m.-2 p.m. Monday-Friday. Prices range from $4.50 to $9.50. For more information call the cafe at 647-0903.
• Academy Village is an active-adult community off Old Spanish Trail six miles southeast of Saguaro National Park East. Its residents support the Arizona Senior Academy, a non-profit charitable organization whose mission includes offering free concerts and lectures to the public.
Submit a story at azstarnet.com/east online.