Tucson’s largest school district is making big changes to its calendar for the upcoming school year, adding a week-long fall break and extending its spring break from three days to six.
The calendar received unanimous approval from TUSD’s Governing Board Tuesday night. It was also overwhelmingly supported by parents and schools, according to survey information gathered earlier this month.
Though the calendar is changing, students will still have 180 days of instruction.
The fall break is scheduled for Oct. 1 through Oct. 5, and spring break is from March 25 to April 1. To make room for the extra time off, the first day of school is scheduled for the first week of August rather than the second week.
2012-2013 TUSD Calendar
• First day of school: Aug. 2
• Labor day: Sept. 3
• Fall break: Oct.1 to Oct. 5
• Veteran’s day: Nov. 12
• Thanksgiving break: Nov. 22 to Nov. 23
• Winter break: Dec. 24 to Jan. 4
• MLK Jr. day: Jan. 21
• Rodeo break: Feb. 21 to Feb. 22
• Spring break: March 25 to April 1
• Last day of school: May 23
Read the rest of this story in Thursday's Arizona Daily Star.