Electrical fire damages south-side home

2012-12-24T09:36:00Z 2012-12-24T15:33:16Z Electrical fire damages south-side homeVeronica M. Cruz Arizona Daily Star Arizona Daily Star
December 24, 2012 9:36 am  • 

An electrical malfunction caused a fire that damaged a home and displaced four people on Tucson’s southside Sunday night.

Several people called 911 shortly before 9:30 p.m. to report smoke and flames coming from the home in the 2300 block of East Virginia Street, near South Tucson Boulevard and East Drexel Road, Capt. Barrett Baker, a Tucson fire spokesman said in a news release.

A person driving by saw the smoke, stopped and knocked on the door of the home to alert the residents including, two adults and a 9-year-old boy and 6-year-old girl, the release said.

When crews arrived they saw flames and heavy smoke coming from the carport and threatening a neighboring home, but were able to prevent the fire from spreading to the second home.

Firefighters entered the home through the front door and contained the fire within 22 minutes.

The fire was caused by an electrical malfunction of an electric water heater, the release said.

Damage is estimated at $40,000. The family is being assisted by the American Red Cross.

Copyright 2014 Arizona Daily Star. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Activate

Follow the Arizona Daily Star

Featured businesses

View more...

Deals, offers & events

View more...

Event Calendar

Today's events | Add an event

Most viewed:


Get weekly ads via e-mail