1862: Confederate Captain Sherod Hunter enters Tucson with less than 130 dragoons and is greeted with a celebration.

1901: The Tombstone Prospector notes the third story of the Copper Queen Hotel in Bisbee has been completed and workmen have begun erecting its two large towers.

1927: A construction company arrives at the Grand Canyon to begin work on the Grand View Road in Grand Canyon National Park.

1966: "Hombre" films at Old Tucson Studios.

1980: Jacomé’s Department Store announces it will close after 84 years downtown.

Want to share an important event from Tucson's history? Email it to krumore@azstarnet.com.