The Music on the Mountain festival is back after a hiatus last summer.
The event formerly presented by LAVA Music is now put on by Chuck "Wagon" Maultsby and sponsored by Mesquite Homes and the Sawmill Run Restaurant.
The series, which kicked off May 25, takes place under a big tent in Summerhaven on Saturdays through the end of September.
This Saturday's show features Ronstadt Generations y Los Tucsonenses.
Ronstadt Generations features Michael J. Ronstadt (Mike) and his sons Petie Ronstadt and Michael Gilbert Ronstadt (Michael G).
The trio got together one Thanksgiving when Michael G was home from Pennsylvania for Thanksgiving, and a post-turkey dinner jam session broke out..
Mike (guitar, mandolin, mandocello and vocals) found himself running through generations of material with his two sons, Michael G (cello, mandolin, guitar and vocals) and Petie (guitar, bass and vocals).
The group put out an album, "Lulo," and soon started touring the country.
While off the road the Ronstadts kept busy in other ways. Michael G played gigs on the East Coast and in the Midwest. Mike and Petie started playing at the Chicago Bar on East Speedway on Monday nights and were frequently joined by Tucson talents. Petie's longtime friend Sam Eagon would often sit in and play bass.
One Monday night Alex Flores brought his tenor sax and sat in with the band. He came back the next week for more. When Aaron Emory joined the lineup, Los Tucsonenses (The Tucsonans) were born.
They joined Ronstadt Generations to produce a follow-up CD to "Lulo" in 2012. The recording session resulted in the release of "Ronstadt Generations y Los Tucsonenses: Prelude," a diverse yet cohesive collection of music.
On Saturday they'll play Ronstadt family stories, traditional songs, old Mexican favorites, original music by the Ronstadt family, and new arrangements of old favorites by a variety of songwriters.
If you go
• What: Music on the Mountain featuring Ronstadt Generations y Los Tucsonenses.
• When: 12:30-4:30 p.m. Saturdays.
• Where: Under the big tent at 12901 N. Sabino Canyon Parkway in Summerhaven on Mount Lemmon.
• Admission: Free; bring a lawn chair.
• Food: No outside food or beverages are allowed, but they are available for purchase to help pay the musicians and other costs of producing Music on the Mountain.
• Info: email email@example.com
Here's the Music on the Mountain schedule.
• June 8: Ronstadt Generations y Los Tucsonenses
• June 15: The Dreadnutts
• June 22: The Amosphere
• June 29: Bad News Blues Band
• July 6: Chuck Wagon & the Wheelchairs and Ned Sutton & The Last Dance
• July 13: John Coinman Band
• July 20: Coyote Supper Club featuring Kevin Pakulis
• July 27: Top Dead Center
• Aug. 3: Chuck Wagon and the Wheelchairs
• Aug. 10: Bryan Dean Trio
• Aug. 17: Stefan George & The Ditchriders
• Aug. 24: Nancy McCallion & Her Wee Band
• Aug. 31: Chuck Wagon & the Wheelchairs with Heather Hardy
• Sept. 7: Giant Blue featuring Anna Warr
• Sept. 14: LeeAnne Savage
• Sept. 21: Freaky Frank's Roadhouse
• Sept. 28: Sonoran Dogs
To contribute a story go to azstarnet.com/foothills online.