Legislative District 2 candidates
One race in the Legislative Districts 2 and 3 elections will be decided in the August primary.
LD3 Sen. Olivia Cajero Bedford will face fellow Democrat Sal Baldenegro, a coach and technician with Desert View High School, in the primary. There are no Republicans on the ballot.
In the LD3 House race, Republican Patricia Flores, a licensed private fiduciary, is challenging Democratic incumbents Sally Ann Gonzales and Macario Saldate in November for the two seats.
The LD2 Senate race will see Democratic Sen. Andrea Dalessandro — who was appointed in January to fill the remainder of then-retiring Linda Lopez’s term — face off against former Marine Daniel Estrella, a Republican, in November.
In the House race for the two seats in LD2, Democratic incumbents Demion Clinco and Rosanna Gabaldón are being challenged by Amphitheater High School physics teacher Chris Ackerley.
- Employer: Current state senator, retired CPA and teacher
- Education: Bachelor’s degree and master’s degree in mathematics education from the City University of New Jersey, MBA in professional accounting from Rutgers University
- Political experience: Current state senator, former state representative.
- Top priority: Jobs and restoration of funding to public education at all levels.
- Employer and position: Staff sergeant, Arizona Army National Guard
- Political experience: Never held elected office
- Top priorities: Improve state economy, lower unemployment rate
- Employer and position: Current state representative, president of the Tucson Historic Preservation Foundation Board
- Education: Bachelor’s in art history from Occidental College
- Political experience: Current state representative
- Top priorities: Local economic development and education
- Employer and position: Current state representative
- Education: Graduate, Central High School
- Political experience: Current state representative, former Sahuarita Town Council member
- Top priorities: Economic development, education and water sustainability
- Employer and position: Physics teacher, Amphitheater High School
- Education: Bachelor’s in physical science, NAU
- Political experience: Never held elected office, Past second vice chair for LD2 Republican Party
- Top priorities: Strengthening public education