A fire destroyed a south-side home Tuesday, displacing a family of six.

The fire broke out shortly before 2:30 p.m. in the 100 bock of East Elvado Road, west of South Nogales Highway and north of East Los Reales Road, said Capt. Barrett Baker, a Tucson Fire Department spokesman.

Three people, including a 78-year-old woman, were at home when the fire broke out. They safely evacuated the house.

Firefighters arrived at the house within four minutes, and brought the fire under control shortly before 3 p.m., Baker said.

The cause of the fire was an electrical malfunction involving a refrigerator and lamp that were plugged into an extension cord in a storage room, said Baker.

A damage estimate was unknown.

The Southern Arizona Chapter of the American Red Cross assisted the family.

 

 

Comments disabled.