Two Northwest Fire District crews tried to rescue the resident of the mobile home, but he died in the blaze.


A 50-year-old man died early Tuesday in a northwest-side mobile-home fire sparked by a cigarette.

The identity of the man, who was disabled, has not yet been released pending examination by the Pima County Medical Examiner's Office and notification of his relatives, Capt. Adam Goldberg, spokesman for the Northwest Fire District, said.

Crews responded to the mobile-home fire at about 1 a.m. Half of the home, in the 2000 block of West Gardner Lane, between North La Cholla Boulevard and North Romero Road, was ablaze when firefighters arrived.

Pima County sheriff's deputies were on patrol in the area and arrived just before fire crews, he said. They "attempted to make entry into the mobile home to check for the victim, but were driven back by the heavy smoke and fire," Goldberg said.

Neighbors told firefighters the man who lived in the home, was possibly still inside, Goldberg said, so crews entered the burning trailer to search for him.

"Conditions when the crews made entry into the building were extreme with black smoke creating a zero visibility environment and high heat from the flames," Goldberg said.

A second crew also went into the home to search for the man, he said.

"The first crew was able to locate the victim near the back bedroom area. No other victims were found in the fire building."

It took 19 firefighters about 25 minutes to bring the fire under control. The mobile home was a total loss, Goldberg said.

The fire was determined to be accidental, he said, caused by a cigarette.