Midtown man injured as he tries to remove couch that caught fire

2013-07-06T00:00:00Z Midtown man injured as he tries to remove couch that caught fireArizona Daily Star Arizona Daily Star Arizona Daily Star
July 06, 2013 12:00 am  • 

A man was taken to a Tucson hospital Friday morning with non-life-threatening injuries suffered when he tried to drag a burning couch out of his living room.

Firefighters arrived at the home in the 4600 block of East Timrod Street, near East Broadway and North Swan Road, within three minutes of receiving a 911 call just before 10 a.m., Capt. Chris Jurvig, spokesman for the Tucson Fire Department, said in a news release.

"A resident of the home had tried to remove and extinguish a couch that had caught fire in the living room," Jurvig said. "Fire crews quickly deployed hose lines into the home to attack the fire and search for victims."

It took 23 firefighters from nine units seven minutes to bring the fire under control.

"Fire crews were able to contain the fire to the room of origin and keep it from spreading throughout the home," Jurvig said.

The fire was caused by an electrical malfunction and caused an estimated $15,000 in damage.

Copyright 2014 Arizona Daily Star. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Activate

Follow the Arizona Daily Star

Featured businesses

View more...

Deals, offers & events

View more...
Get weekly ads via e-mail