Davis-Monthan Field was dedicated in 1927 as Tucson's municipal air field, named in honor of two pilots who died in WWI. It was transitioned to full military service in 1941, during WWII. It expanded rapidly during the Cold War, adding jet fighters in 1953, B-47 bombers of the Strategic Air Command, and eventually a Strategic Missile Wing to control 18 Titan ICBM's in silos around Tucson.
As featured on
D-M, key to Tucson's economy, needs a new long-term role. This special report examines how its assets fit into possible new or expanded missions, and what other military communities can teach us.