An electrical malfunction in attic wiring was the cause of a fire at the Rincon Market on Tuesday, the Tucson Fire Department says.
The market, 2513 E. Sixth St., at North Tucson Boulevard, is expected to be closed from two to six months, said Ron Abbott, 56, the owner of the longtime establishment in the Sam Hughes Neighborhood.
No damage estimate has been determined.
Bob Dobbs restaurant, which also is in the strip center in that block of East Sixth Street, is expected to remain closed for a couple of more days, Abbott said.
Electrical upgrades were made at Bob Dobbs on Tuesday, and ridding the air of smoke smell began Wednesday, said Abbott.
The other businesses, including two salons and a jewelry store, were reopened late Tuesday.
"It is still wall-to-wall smoke inside the market," Abbott said. Disposing of food in the market and taking inventory of the items by insurance adjusters is underway. A restoration company also began cleanup inside the market, he said.
Upgrades to the building's electrical system must be done, said Abbott, adding that he and insurance adjusters also are awaiting word from an architect and city inspectors on possible upgrades that may be required of the interior.
Contact reporter Carmen Duarte at 573-4104 or email@example.com