Fire in McKale Center's equipment room extinguished, damage being assessed

2012-11-03T23:15:00Z 2012-11-04T00:00:47Z Fire in McKale Center's equipment room extinguished, damage being assessedArizona Daily Star Arizona Daily Star
November 03, 2012 11:15 pm  • 

A fire at McKale Center late Saturday was extinguished quickly, but filled the building with thick smoke.

The fire was in the equipment room, UA athletic director Greg Byrne said.

A smoke alarm inside the building went off at about 9:25 p.m., Tucson Fire Department Captain Barrett Baker said. When firefighters arrived they saw smoke coming from the roof.

No one was inside at the time, Baker said.

Because the alarm told them where the fire was coming from, firefighters were able to quickly find and extinguish it, Baker said.

Smoke damage remains the big question, and crews were still assessing the scene, he said.

A volleyball match against the University of Southern California was scheduled for today, but there was no word late Saturday on whether the fire or cleanup would affect the game.

Check StarNet today for more details.

Copyright 2014 Arizona Daily Star. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Activate

Follow the Arizona Daily Star

Featured businesses

View more...

Deals, offers & events

View more...

Event Calendar

Today's events | Add an event

Most viewed:


Get weekly ads via e-mail