The Big A
It was in the name of progress, but that didn't make it any easier. A longtime campus favorite, the Big A Restaurant, at 1818 E. Speedway, was being forced to move to make way for the Speedway widening project. Rosemary Seery, shown here on April 10, 1989, and her husband had signed a lease to move their restaurant down the street to 2033 E. Speedway. Although all the memorabilia and even the coaches' corner would make the move, many were concerned the Big A would never be the hangout it had been since 1961. The Big A closed in 1999.