To report a violation of Tucson Water's water-waste laws, call the city's water cop at 791-2514 or the Tucson Water customer service number at 791-3242. For more information about the ordinance, call 791-4331.
• Allowing water to escape from any premises onto public property, such as alleys or streets, or someone else's private property.
• Allowing water to pond in a street or parking lot at more than a quarter-inch deep, or over a cumulative surface area of more than 150 square feet.
• Washing driveways, sidewalks, parking lots or other impervious surfaces with an open hose or with a spray nozzle attached to an open hose.
• Operating a misting system in unoccupied, nonresidential areas.
• Failure to repair a controllable leak, including a broken sprinkler head or a leaking valve or faucet.
By the numbers
• Water waste complaints: 10 to 20 a week five years ago; 5 to 10 a week today.
• Water waste citations and fines: FY 2007-08: 28 citations, several thousand dollars in fines. FY 2008-09: 45 citations, $31,660 fines. FY 2009-10: 18 citations, $11,637 fines. FY 2010-11: Two citations, $270 fines, with one case pending.
• Water cop force: One cop today, with a second position left vacant since spring 2009 due to declining revenue caused by water conservation by customers. The position could be refilled by the end of 2011.
Source: Tucson Water officials