Anyone wandering around downtown Tucson in desperate need of the time of day need only look along the west side of Church Avenue between Congress Street and Broadway.
Not only will pedestrians find a clock atop a 16-foot-high pedestal, but they'll also find a bit of Tucson history.
The timepiece, often referred to as the Daniel's Jewelers clock because of the name emblazoned underneath the clock's hands, has been at its current site since the late 1980s, according to Arizona Daily Star archives.
It was moved there after a grass-roots effort by city employees who fought the Tucson City Council's attempts to get the clock taken down because it violated the city's new sign codes, according to the archives.
More than $18,000 was spent at the time by Gordon Jewelers to have the clock refurbished and planted in concrete on the eastern edge of Veinte de Agosto Park.
Gordon's had owned the clock since 1962, when original owner Elmer Present - who opened Daniel's Jewelers downtown in 1926 - sold his store to Gordon's, according to the archives.
Contact reporter Brian J. Pedersen at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 573-4224.