Sculptor Gutzon Borglum's most famous work is seen on Mount Rushmore in South Dakota: the colossal heads of four U.S. presidents.
Another one of his creations resides outside the Arizona History Museum, 949 E. Second St., next to the University of Arizona campus.
Borglum's bronze statue of John Campbell Greenway, an Alabama-born mining engineer who built the town of Ajo, depicts the brigadier general in Army breeches, boots and a long-sleeve, button-up shirt.
He holds his hat in his left hand.
Greenway's son, Jack, helped bring his father's bronze figure to the museum.
The younger Greenway donated $50,000 to the Arizona Historical Society to landscape the grounds as a memorial to his father and mother, Isabella Greenway King, according to "Pioneer Heritage," a book about the history of the historical society.
The statue was erected in front of the museum on May 16, 1974.
In addition to his mining career, Greenway also worked as an executive for steel and railroad companies throughout Arizona, and he served for one year as a member of the Board of Regents.
The statue is a replica of the one that stands in the U.S. Capitol as part of the National Statuary Hall Collection. The original casting of Greenway was given to the collection in 1930.
Greenway's likeness might not call the U.S. Capitol home much longer, though.
A request to swap out the statue with one of Barry M. Goldwater was approved by the Architect of the Capitol in August 2010.
Borglum's statue of Greenway would return to Arizona.
Contact reporter Andrea Rivera at email@example.com or 807-8430.