The United Way of Tucson and Southern Arizona is offering free tax-return preparation at seven locations in the Tucson area.
The Volunteer Income Tax Assistance program offers tax preparation from IRS-certified preparers to individuals and families earning up to $66,000 a year. The service will be offered through April 14, with the tax deadline being April 17 this year.
Locally the VITA program is a collaboration of the United Way and Catholic Community Services.
The VITA program can help taxpayers save an average of about $250 per return, according to a news release from the United Way. Preparers can help filers take advantage of the appropriate tax credits.
VITA volunteers must complete an IRS-sponsored certification program every year. Individuals will have their return prepared by a volunteer, with a second volunteer reviewing the prepared return before filing.
In the Tucson area, there are seven sites that will be open at various times to prepare returns.
For a complete list of locations, time and dates they are open, and documents needed go online to www.unitedwaytucson.org/vita
Here are the locations:
- Abounding Grace Lutheran Church, 2450 S. Kolb Road.
- Goodwill Job Connection Midvale Plaza, 1680 W. Valencia Road.
- City of Tucson Ward 3 Office, 1510 E. Grant Road.
- Interfaith Community Services, 2820 W. Ina Road.
- El Pueblo Neighborhood Center, 101 W. Irvington Road.
- Quincie Douglas Branch Library, 1585 E. 36th St.
- Elie Towne Flowing Wells Community Center, 1660 W. Ruthrauff Road.