BOSTON - A Massachusetts funeral director said Monday he has received burial offers from out-of-state cemeteries for the body of a Boston Marathon bombing suspect who was killed in a gunbattle with police, even as Tamerlan Tsarnaev's mother told him she wants the body returned to Russia.
But Worcester funeral home director Peter Stefan said despite the request, he doesn't think Russia will take Tsarnaev's body, and he is working on other arrangements. He declined to be more specific.
Meanwhile, a friend of the surviving suspect in the bombings was released from federal custody Monday amid a swell of support from family and friends, but was under strict house arrest and only allowed to leave his home to meet with lawyers and for true emergencies.
As the question of where Tamerlan Tsarnaev will be buried dragged on for another day, the issue seemed far from resolved.
Stefan said he plans to ask for a burial in the city of Cambridge, where Tsarnaev lived. Cambridge has asked him not to do so.
Cambridge City Manager Robert Healy urged the Tsarnaev family not to make a request.
"The difficult and stressful efforts of the citizens of the city of Cambridge to return to a peaceful life would be adversely impacted by the turmoil, protests and widespread media presence at such an interment," Healy said in a statement Sunday.
Stefan also said he had out-of-state burial offers but refused to give additional details, adding he was worried that protests will rise up at any place that agrees to the burial, as they have at his own funeral home.
"Once the neighbors find out who's coming, they're going to come out," he said.
As the fate of the body remained unclear, Robel Phillipos, a friend of bombing suspect Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, was released on $100,000 bond while he awaits trial for allegedly lying to federal investigators probing the April 15 bombings.
Phillipos, 19, who was a student at the University of Massachusetts Dartmouth with Tsarnaev, was charged last week with lying to investigators about visiting Tsarnaev's dorm room three days after the bombings.
He faces up to eight years in prison if convicted.
But prosecutors and Phillipos' lawyers agreed in a joint motion filed Monday that Phillipos could be released under strict conditions, including home confinement, monitoring with an electronic bracelet and a $100,000 secured bond.