BOSTON - The body of Boston Marathon bombing suspect Tamerlan Tsarnaev, who was the subject of a massive manhunt and died after a gunbattle with police, was claimed on Thursday.
Department of Public Safety spokesman Terrel Harris said a funeral home retained by Tsarnaev's family picked up the 26-year-old's remains. He had no more information.
The medical examiner determined Tsarnaev's cause of death on Monday, but officials said it wouldn't become public until his remains were released and a death certificate was filed.
It was unclear on Thursday evening whether the death certificate had been filed.
Tsarnaev's widow, Katherine Russell, learned this week that the medical examiner was ready to release his body and said she wanted it released to his family, said her attorney, Amato DeLuca.
Tsarnaev's uncle Ruslan Tsarni, of Maryland, said Tuesday night the family would take the body.
"Of course, family members will take possession of the body," Tsarni said. "We'll do it. We will do it. A family is a family."
Tsarnaev, who had appeared in surveillance photos wearing a black cap and was identified as Suspect No. 1, died several days after the bombing.
The April 15 bombing near the marathon's finish line killed three people and injured more than 260. Authorities said Tsarnaev and his younger brother later killed a Massachusetts Institute of Technology campus police officer.
The older brother was captured after a gunbattle with police and died the same night.
Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, 19, escaped but was captured later, wounded and bloody, hiding in a tarp-covered boat in a suburban Boston backyard. He is in a federal prison and faces a charge of using a weapon of mass destruction to kill.