A bicyclist peddles his way southbound on North Stone Avenue as he approaches the Pima County Public Service Center. The photo was taken in Tucson, Ariz., on Monday, June 6, 2016. A.E. Araiza / Arizona Daily Star
The Iron Mask Restaurant, at 2564 E Grant Rd., was a popular dining establishment on October 14, 1980. The restaurant opened in 1968 and through the years time featured such dishes as turtle soup, peach melba, duck l'orange and chateaubriand. Decorated like an English castle, at least to most Tucsonans, one could count on good service in addition to a fine meal. Tucson Citizen file
The Kingfisher restaurant, at 2564 E Grant Rd., is known for its seafood dishes, grilled steaks, poultry dishes, desserts and atmosphere. It has a pretty good wine list and plenty of bar drinks. The photo was taken in Tucson, Ariz., on Monday, June 6, 2016. A.E. Araiza / Arizona Daily Star
The A & L Auto Care business at 4325 S. Sixth Avenue offers auto and air conditioning service and repair. The photo was taken in Tucson, Ariz., on Tuesday, May 31, 2016. A.E. Araiza / Arizona Daily Star
The Arroyo Cafe, Cafe Arroyo, or the Arroyo Family Restaurant, depending on who you asked, was located at 4900 E Speedway. The popular eastside eatery had a cult following for those who favored old-fashioned food that was reasonably priced. Dan Tortorell / Tucson Citizen
Oregano's Pizza Bistro at 4900 E Speedway offers pizza, of course, but also pasta, wings, salads and sandwiches on the east bank of the Arcadia Wash. The photo was taken in Tucson, Ariz., on Tuesday, May 31, 2016. A.E. Araiza / Arizona Daily Star
The yet-unfinished Sabino Canyon gatehouse, about a half mile away from the Visitor Center, was a several days away from completion on September 2, 1969. The roadway throughout the area was repaved causing some temporary closing of the certain recreation sites. Dan Tortorell / Tucson Citizen
By April 5, 1982 the Hidden Valley Inn was still operating as a restaurant at 4825 N Sabino Canyon Rd. It evolved into a Wild West eatery after originally serving as a beer and burger watering hole for nearby ranchers and passers-by in the 1960s. A grease fire in the kitchen destroyed the structure on August 1995 but it was rebuilt. In February 2006, they served their last steak after 45 years of service. Tucson Citizen file
Palo verde trees from a nearby Walgreens obscures the northwest corner of North Sabino Canyon and East Snyder Roads looking towards the Santa Catalinas in Tucson on July 14, 2016. A.E. Araiza / Arizona Daily Star
People started filtering in on opening day for the brand-new Fort Lowell at North Craycroft Road on Saturday, August 12, 1967. The $123,000 facility was L-shaped which allowed for a diving area that measured 12-feet deep, 50-feet wide and 75 feet long. Off to the side was a wading pool, lounge and snack bar. Admission was 20-cents for children under 16 and 40-cents for adults. Bruce Hopkins / Tucson Citizen
The officer's quarters at Fort Lowell Park went through renovation in March 1963 order to recreate authentic appearance of the structure during its heyday. Several cottowood trees were also planted to recreate Cottonwood Lane. Behind the quarters stands the former bakery. Tucson Citizen file
The remains of the Fort Lowell Park hospital were partially covered from above on June 17, 1953 but the walls were exposed allowing people to scratch their names on the adobe walls. (Editor note: the markings along the skyline are from a damaged negative.) Tucson Citizen file
The remains of the Fort Lowell hospital in Tucson on July 14, 2016. The archway apparently collapsed and more deterioration is evident. The fencing around the structure has prevented further vandalism. A.E. Araiza / Arizona Daily Star
Thousands attended the formal opening of the new $2 million Campbell Plaza shopping Center at the northeast corner of North Campbell Avenue and East Glenn Street on April 7, 1960. Originally, the parking facilities was designed to handle 850 vehicles but it was overflowing for the event. The plaza is situated on 18 acres and has 18 tenants. Tucson Citizen file
The Campbell Plaza Shopping Center, at the northeast corner of North Campbell Avenue and East Glenn Street, has seen much growth since its opening on April 7, 1960. The photo was taken in Tucson, Ariz., on Monday, June 6, 2016. A.E. Araiza / Arizona Daily Star
NOW: Veinte de Agosto Park in 2016, bounded by North Church Avenue, West Congress Street and West Broadway Boulevard, has become a shady oasis in the downtown area. The park includes the statue of the Mexican revolutionary figure, Pancho Villa, background left middle.
THEN: The Grand Opening of the shopping center along North Campbell Avenue between East Silver and Water Streets featured a Wee-Wash-It Laundry, a Quinn's Shoe store, the M & M Hardware store, Thorne's Market and the Tucson Costume Co.
THEN: Tucson General Hospital, which was located on East Allen Road and North Campbell Avenue, first opened in 1949 as a 15-bed facility at Grant and Country Club Roads. In 1954 the hospital was expanded to a 30 bed site at 3838 N Campbell Ave. The site had once been the Harding Guest Ranch and the hospital was a group of converted adobe buildings, according to the Tucson Citizen.
NOW: The Pima County Superior Court building in 2016, at 110 West Congress Street, is the fourth one built in Pima County. Its recognizable predecessor, a pink structure with big dome on top, is on the other side of the current building.
THEN: The Amphi Plaza Shopping Center, at North First Avenue and East Fort Lowell Road, was a vibrant, bustling shopping center featuring a Jarrold Drug store, Goldwyn's, Goodman's, McLellans, Wilson's furniture store and a Southern Arizona Bank on December 4, 1957.
NOW: The Gaslight Theatre, which is a place for those with a taste for fun, free popcorn, great melodramatic entertainment and music, is housed in the old Jerry Lewis Cinema at 7010 E Broadway Blvd, in 2016.
NOW: The east side of the former Valley National Bank on East Broadway Boulevard near North Kolb Road, has changed somewhat but the front now has a salon plus the Gaslight Print Shop and Costume Shop in 2016.
THEN: The Bridal Boutique, a wedding service, was located in the building at right while a barber shop and a beauty salon occupied the spaces left of that at the Broadway 7000 shopping and service center at East Broadway Boulevard and North Kolb Road on July 8, 1970.
NOW: In 2016, the shopping center at East Broadway Boulevard and North Kolb Road has restaurants, a gun store, photo studio and still has a barber shop. The Gaslight Theatre along with the adjoining costume shop are also located there.
THEN: The new Pima Verde Shopping Center at the north east corner of East Pima Street and North Craycroft Road was nearing completion on March 29, 1956. A new Food Giant Supermarket occupied the corner space on the left and a drug store eventually settled on to the space at the other end with several businesses in between.
The frontage road at Interstate 10 and West Speedway Boulevard looking to the southeast showing the new I-10 overpass, part of a four-mile freeway reconstruction completed in about 2009. The photo was taken in Tucson, Ariz., on Monday, Jan. 25, 2016. A.E. Araiza / Arizona Daily Star
La Mariposa Resort at 1501 N. Houghton Road is known for its fitness and health club and as a special event and wedding venue. The photo was taken in Tucson, Ariz., on Sunday, Jan. 24, 2016. A.E. Araiza / Arizona Daily Star
Steinfeld's, far left, and Jacome's, far right, department stores seemed to bracket the then-new federal building (middle) in downtown Tucson on January 9, 1974. The Pioneer National Title Insurance Co., or the PNTI building, is also on the right.
West Pennington Street no longer looks crammed with buildings as when Steinfeld's and Jacome's department stores were on the corners at North Stone Avenue. Also gone is the Pioneer National Title Insurance Co., or PNTI building, on the right.
Based on the sign for the Country Club Swimming Pool in the background, Ruthie's Drive-Inn restaurant was in the vicinity of 2627 E. Benson Hwy. on Aug. 14, 1972. Bypassed after Interstate 10 was opened in 1969, businesses on the Benson Highway struggled to survive. The four-mile stretch was once a vital thoroughfare before the interstate system was created.
A new glass front at Porters' (not Porter's, per the sign) Western Store, at 120 N. Stone Ave., was just installed on Aug. 15, 1957. The improvement increased the selling area by 15 percent allowing expansion of the men's clothing department. The store was next to the Pioneer Hotel.
By July 24, 1970, the figures from Felix Lucero's Last Supper had been on the west side of the Santa Cruz River for more than 20 years. City authorities had decided to leave it in place while a new bridge on West Congress Street was to be replaced.
The Garden of Gethsemane at West Congress Street and the Santa Cruz River is the work of World War I veteran Felix Lucero. The story goes he pledged to create Christian art while wounded on a battlefield. For a time after the war he lived under the Congress Street bridge. He then began sculpting the figures. One group of figures, seen here, depicts The Last Supper.
A Valero gas station sits on the same site of The Copa, which was at 1909 S. Craycroft at East 29th Street. During the early 1960s, The Copa featured 24 bowling lanes, liquor and free babysitting, according to the Arizona Daily Star.
This stretch of Benson Highway near South Palo Verde Road was bypassed after Interstate 10 was opened in 1969. It was just another string of businesses along the road that struggled to survive on Aug. 14, 1972. The four-mile stretch was a vital thoroughfare before the interstate system was created.
Bypassed after Interstate 10 was opened in 1969, Motel Mesa at 1951 E. Benson Hwy. was just another business along the road that struggled to survive on Aug. 14, 1972. The four-mile stretch was a vital thoroughfare before the interstate system was created.
The old Southern Pacific Railroad Warehouse on North Stone Avenue and West Franklin Street had seen better days by Sept. 10, 1982. After a July storm blew its roof off, the writing was on the wall: Its time had come and soon it would be gone.
1955: Tucson firefighters from Engine 2, a 1954 American La France Foamite pumper, visit a duplex at 121-23 N. 2nd Ave. for a voluntary fire inspection. The spartan, open-air truck had a water tank that held 200 gallons.
1956: Tucson Fire Department dispatcher Ellis Franklin on duty at the radio desk when the city had seven fire stations. Note the pack of Viceroy cigarettes in the big ashtray at the base of the microphone.
2014: Christina Garcia, a public safety dispatcher for 20 years, poses for a photo at the Tucson Fire Department's computerized dispatch center, which tracks the locations of all fire vehicles for the city's 21 fire stations.
1965: The Tucson Fire Department's Station No. 1, as seen in the 1960s, was once in the 100 block of South Sixth Avenue. The station housed six units and 18 firefighters. The Santa Rita Hotel rises behind the station.
1960s: The Spanish Trail Motel on I-10 frontage east of Nogales Highway (Sixth Avenue), an accessible stop for cross-country travelers on the new Interstate 10. The inn was once a nice place featuring music and dancing in its large, round restaurant as well as pleasant grounds with an Olympic-sized swimming pool. A 1984 Tucson Citizen story tells of Cleveland Indians players, mostly minor leaguers, who were staying at the inn during spring training (17 of them got food poisoning, hence the story). But that era is long gone, and the buildings are on their way, too.
2014: Spanish Trail Motel on the I-10 Frontage Road, east of Sixth Avenue. The restaurant is abandoned, though the 120 motel rooms behind were converted to apartments. South Tucson officials have worked with the property owners to clean up the clutter. There is interest in refurbishing the iconic neon sign, but the buildings are probably beyond repair.
2014: The Santa Cruz River south of Grant Road, after extensive river bank improvements and construction of The Loop bike trail, which parallels much of the Santa Cruz and Rillito rivers. The river park system dates to the 1970s, although the flood of 1983 prompted faster land acquisition. When completed, The Loop will be more than 131 miles long.
2014: North Oracle Road at West Roger Road looking north toward Limberlost Drive. Still plenty of traffic, but fewer signs and more trees. A 1985 city ordinance regulates the size, location and height of various signs, according to an Arizona Daily Star story. After a number of legal fights, billboard-industry lobbyists got the Legislature to pass a law in 2000 that said cities can act against billboards only if they file a complaint within two years of learning the signs violate local ordinances.
1963: The Tucson High School marching band at the dedication ceremony for the new Broadway underpass at the Southern Pacific RR tracks east of downtown Tucson. Photo taken looking west from the SPRR bridge.
2014: The newest alignment of Broadway, which splits to become Congress Street, zags to the left and under Toole and the Union Pacific RR. The Modern Streetcar joins traffic on the street. In 1998, five miles of Barraza-Aviation Parkway, from South Palo Verde overpass to Broadway, opened to motorists at an estimated cost of $150 million.
1963: The Eliza Ward Rockwell House, built in 1907, in the El Presidio Historic neighborhood at Franklin and Granada in Tucson. Affluent and influential Easterners built mansions in what the masses then called Snob Hollow. “They built grand houses and held great parties,” said tour guide Joanne Rogers. “All the mothers of the single young ladies wanted their daughters to marry someone" from that neighborhood.
1978: The El Paso and Southwestern Railway Depot at Congress Street and Interstate 10, with tracks still in place. It was being remodeled into a Big Yellow House restaurant, part of a chain. Later it became the popular Carlos Murphy's Mexican restaurant.
1957: Construction workers' cars sit atop the Latimer Building on East Pennington Street during construction of Tucson's first rooftop parking area. What is now the Pima County Public Works building is under construction in the upper right of the photo. Reilly Funeral Home, now Reilly Craft Pizza, is in the lower right.
1955: Old adobe buildings on East Jackson Street near South Scott Avenue, which were more than 60 years old at the time, were to be razed to make way for a parking lot. The property extended to the north all the way to East Broadway Boulevard.
2014: Looking from East Jackson Street toward the old Hotel Westerner, background left. The adobe buildings gave way to a parking lot and finally to a Federal Court annex at 44 E. Broadway, which is now commercial space and residential loft apartments owned by Providence Service Corp.
1969: The Tucson Public Library, now the Tucson Children's Museum, at 200 S. Sixth Ave. City officials were concerned about trash and clutter downtown. The the original building, the Carnegie Free Library, was completed in 1901.
1962: Tucson city workers repair pot holes at East Broadway and Tucson boulevards. At the time, supervisor Milton Dumm said the reason for the holes was that the old strip pavement was less than an inch thick.
2014: Traffic and a bicyclist rides through the intersection of East Broadway and Tucson boulevards. The footprint of the intersection hasn't changed, but most of the structures and businesses from the 1960s (including Bob's Big Boy) are gone.
2014: Palm trees have been replaced by oak trees in front of the Citizen Building at 82 S. Stone, now offices of COPE Community Services. Western cities like Tucson realized that palm trees don't provide needed shade and are no fun to maintain. Many cities have removed them over the years.
2014: Jones Boulevard at Speedway Boulevard, looking south, which at one time had a Texaco gas station on the corner and Korby's department store across the street. Speedway is much wider and a Grease Monkey occupies the corner where the Texaco stood.
2014: The area north of Fort Lowell near the end of Columbus at the Rillito River, where polo ponies once raced, has been reclaimed by nature and the Creekside and Town and Country II housing developments.
This is the 200 block of East Congress Street in Tucson, south side looking east in June, 1965. An optometrist business anchors the corner and the rest of the stores are dotted with small businesses including an barber shop and shoe store.
The historic Rialto Theatre at 318 E Congress St (looking south east) now anchors the building at South Fifth Avenue. At one time, The Paramount movie theatre was in its place. Cadence, the new student housing building is in the background on the left. The photo was taken on Thursday, January 9, 2014.
This is the 200 block of East Congress Street, the north side looking east in June, 1965. There is the Federal Credit Clothing business along with Brott Jewelry, Posners art supply store and much further down the street, the Hotel Congress.
The Ronstadt Transit Center, at 215 E Congress St., is in the foreground while the Martin Luther King Jr Apartments and Hotel Congress toward the back. At one time there was a Federal Credit Clothing store, a Brott Jewelry store, Posners art supply store and more along the street. The photo was taken on Thursday, January 9, 2014.