COLUMBIA, S.C. — Federal health officials say at least 14 people in nine states have been infected with salmonella by handling tainted dog food.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said no deaths have been reported, but at least five people have been hospitalized. The pet food was made at Diamond Pet Foods’ plant in Gaston, S.C.
The company said no pets were sickened but declined to comment further.
Health officials say people can get salmonella by handling infected dog food, then not washing their hands before eating or handling their own food.
The South Carolina plant was shut down April 7 and food made there has been recalled. Diamond Pet Foods paid a $3.1 million settlement after a toxic mold in its pet food killed dozens of dogs in 2005.
Read more in Saturday’s Arizona Daily Star and StarNet.