Residents of five states including Arizona have become ill from an outbreak of salmonella that’s believed to come from ground beef produced by two companies.
The Arizonan was in Michigan at the time of exposure and there is no reason to believe other state residents are at risk at this point, Arizona Department of Health Services spokeswoman Laura Oxley said today.
All of those affected tested positive for a salmonella typhimurium strain that’s associated with the meat, the U.S. Centers for Disease Control & Prevention reported this morning. Residents of Illinois, Iowa, Michigan and Wisconsin have also become ill, federal officials say.
A collaborative investigative effort indicates that ground beef produced by Jouni Meats Inc. and Gab Halal Foods are the likely sources of the outbreak, federal officials say. Both Jouni Meats and Gab Halal Foods have each recalled more than 500 pounds of ground beef.
Consumers should not eat raw or undercooked ground beef, the CDC says.
Seven of the ill people, including the Arizonan, reported eating a dish called raw ground beef kibbeh at the same restaurant before becoming ill, officials say. The restaurant served raw beef to customers that it had acquired from two retailers.
All seven became sick after eating there, a CDC news release says .
Seven of the people who became ill have been hospitalized and those affected range in age from two to 87 years old.