With 6,000 documented deaths, March was Syria's bloodiest month

2013-04-02T00:00:00Z With 6,000 documented deaths, March was Syria's bloodiest monthThe Associated Press The Associated Press
April 02, 2013 12:00 am  • 

BEIRUT - March was the bloodiest month yet in Syria's two-year-old conflict with more than 6,000 documented deaths, a leading anti-regime activist group said Monday, blaming the increase on heavier shelling and more violent clashes.

Rami Abdul-Rahman, who heads the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights, said the increased toll is likely incomplete because both the Syrian army and the rebel groups fighting President Bashar Assad's government often underreport their dead in the civil war.

"It is very difficult to get correct info on the fighters because they don't want the information to hurt morale," Abdul-Rahman said by phone from Britain.

The numbers, while provided by only one group, support the appraisal of the conflict offered by many Syria watchers: The civil war is largely a military stalemate that is destroying the country's social fabric and taking a huge toll on civilians.

The increase also reflects the continuing spread of major hostilities to new parts of Syria. While clashes continue in Aleppo, Damascus and Homs, Syria's three largest cities, rebels have launched an offensive in recent weeks to seize towns and army bases in the southern province of Daraa, largely with the help of an influx of foreign-funded weapons.

The Observatory, which works through a network of contacts in Syria, said those killed in March included similar numbers of combatants on both sides: 1,486 rebels and army defectors and 1,464 soldiers from the Syrian army.

But the number of civilians killed exceeded them both: 2,080 total for the month, including 298 children and 291 women.

In addition, there were 387 unidentified civilians and 588 unidentified fighters, most of them foreigners fighting with the rebels, bringing the March total to 6,005, Abdul-Rahman said.

He criticized the international community for not doing more to stop the bloodshed, which he said could increase.

"If there is no solution, we think the numbers will get worse in the coming months," he said.

The March toll surpassed what had previously been the deadliest month, August 2012, when airstrikes, clashes and shelling killed more than 5,400 people, Abdul-Rahman said.

His total death toll for the conflict through the end of March was 62,554 but could actually be twice that high.

Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Activate
Get weekly ads via e-mail

Follow the Arizona Daily Star

Deals, offers & events

View more...

Drive new customers to your website

Maximize your exposure with FREE registration on the top search engines:

google bing yahoo

Fill out this form and get started today.

First Name:
Last Name:
Phone:
E-mail Address:
Website:
arizona daily star
Search Local Businesses:
Popular Searches