People also are talking about witnesses descriptions of the Las Vegas massacre and father won't escort bride at royal wedding.
NY man tells Spanish-speakers: 'My next call is to ICE'
A man berated employees and customers for speaking Spanish in a New York restaurant, describing them as undocumented and threatening to call immigration officials in a rant captured on video.
The incident happened Tuesday at a Fresh Kitchen in Manhattan, according to Edward Suazo, who posted a video of the encounter on Facebook, saying his wife and her friend were the target of the man's anger.
The video starts with a man in a white collared shirt confronting employees and customers in the restaurant.
"Your staff is speaking Spanish to customers when they should be speaking English," the man says, holding a white iPhone and pointing at the Spanish speakers for emphasis.
"Every person I listen to: He spoke it, he spoke it, she's speaking it. This is America!" he says.
The man continues to express his displeasure to an employee and threatens to call Immigration and Customs Enforcement officials.
"My guess is they're not documented. So my next call is to ICE to have each one of them kicked out of my country," he says.
"If they have the balls to come here and live off my money, I pay for their welfare. I pay for their ability to be here. The least they can do ... is speak English."
He then tells the employee, "If you intend on running a place in Midtown Manhattan, your staff should speak English. Not Spanish."
A woman tries to engage the man just before he walks out. He turns around and says, "Honey I'm calling ICE."
"Call ICE!" the woman shoots back. Before the man leaves, he tells the woman, "Maybe you shouldn't eat that sandwich, take a break from the food."
In a Facebook post, Suazo said his wife and her best friend were talking to a waiter in Spanish when the man butted in and angrily demanded that they speak English.
"What a big man talking down to couple of women and a helpless employee," he posted. "I wish someone tells me I can't speak in my native language!"
CNN has tried to contact Suazo to get more details. His video had been viewed 4.4 million times by early Thursday, with some identifying the man as a lawyer with an office near the restaurant.
CNN has called and left messages at the law office the man apparently owns but has not heard back. After the incident, people inundated the law firm's social media accounts with messages.
One year: Anniversary of start of Robert Mueller's probe
Thursday marks one year since special counsel Robert Mueller was appointed to investigate Russian meddling in the 2016 US election. Mueller took over an investigation that was first opened by since-fired FBI Director James Comey in July 2016, during the campaign.
The far-reaching investigation continues -- witnesses are still being interviewed, and trials are scheduled for later this year. As the proceedings have dragged on, the White House has adopted an increasingly hostile tone toward the investigation, which President Donald Trump has repeatedly called a "witch hunt" and a "hoax."
Here is a breakdown of what we know about one year of the investigation under Mueller, by the numbers:
In one year, Mueller has brought charges against 19 people and three companies, including a former White House adviser, three former Trump campaign aides – including the campaign chairman at the time – a prominent Russian oligarch and a dozen Kremlin-backed trolls. In all, these defendants are facing a combined 75 criminal charges, ranging from alleged conspiracy against the United States, bank fraud and tax violations to lying to FBI investigators and identity fraud.
Five defendants have pleaded guilty, including former national security adviser Michael Flynn and former Trump campaign aide Rick Gates.Both are cooperating with Mueller. Alex van der Zwaan, a Dutch lawyer who pleaded guilty to lying to the special counsel, is currently serving a 30-day prison sentence.
Former campaign chairman Paul Manafort is fighting Mueller's charges in court.
At least 40 people have voluntarily given interviews to Mueller's investigators, according to CNN's latest reporting and other news accounts. At least seven people are known to have testified at a grand jury, though the number is likely much higher because the proceedings are secret.
Earlier this year, Trump's lawyers touted an "unprecedented" level of cooperation with Mueller. They boasted that the White House had handed over 20,000 pages to Mueller and the Trump campaign had produced an additional 1.4 million pages of documents. They also noted that at least 20 White House staffers "voluntarily" gave interviews to Mueller's investigators, including eight people from the White House Counsel's Office.
The President has not yet been interviewed, but negotiations are underway for him to provide testimony. CNN has reported that in at least one meeting, Mueller raised the possibility of a subpoena to compel Trump's testimony. Trump has said he would "love to speak" to Mueller, so long as he is "treated fairly."
Trump changed his tone by the next day, calling the probe a "witch hunt." He's used that phrase 39 times since the Mueller probe began until Thursday - when he used it again in another tweet blasting the investigation.
Mueller has assembled a team of at least 17 lawyers and "dozens" of FBI agents to help with his investigation. Nine of the lawyers donated to Democratic candidates before 2017, according to federal records. Eight of those lawyers gave only to Democrats, while one has donated to Democrats and Republicans before.
Ex-teacher gunned down in driveway; investigators search phones, surveillance video
A former schoolteacher shot to death in her mother's driveway likely was the victim of a crime of passion, investigators told a Pennsylvania television station.
Investigators are searching surveillance video and cellphones for clues in the death of Rachael DelTondo, 33, who was shot multiple times on Sunday in Aliquippa.
Television station KDKA quoted unidentified investigators as saying they believed the woman knew her attacker. Beaver County District Attorney David Lozier is declining to comment on a possible motive or whether she may have known the gunman.
DelTondo was suspended in November from a cyber school. Officials there had received an anonymous email containing a police report saying DelTondo had been found in a parked car with a 17-year-old former student. No charges were filed, and Lozier called the report's circulation "a personal vendetta" against DelTondo.
Witnesses in Las Vegas masssacre describe chaos, compassion
Police documents about the deadliest mass shooting in modern U.S. history included reports from at least two people who said a person they believed to be the gunman ranted in the days prior to last October's Las Vegas Strip attack about the federal government and gun control.
The claims by those people and others could not be verified because the names of all witnesses were blacked out in the 1,200 pages of police reports and accounts that the Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department made public Wednesday after losing court battles to keep them secret.
Police and the FBI have not determined a motive in the ongoing investigation. Authorities said they believe Stephen Paddock acted alone and the attack had no link to international terrorism. Law enforcement refused Wednesday to provide any additional information including refusing to say whether the reports were credible.
A jailed man whose gave a statement in November to police and the FBI recalled a man he believed to be Paddock telling him that Federal Emergency Management Agency "camps" set up after Hurricane Katrina in 2005 were "a dry run for law enforcement and military to start kickin' down doors and ... confiscating guns."
"Somebody has to wake up the American public and get them to arm themselves," the man said Paddock told him less than a month before the Oct. 1 shooting that killed 58 people and injured hundreds. "Sometimes sacrifices have to be made."
In a handwritten account, a woman said she overheard a man she later said was Paddock talking with another man at a Las Vegas restaurant just three days before the massacre. She told police that Paddock seemed angry about the 1990s standoffs at Waco, Texas, and Ruby Ridge in Idaho.
"At the time, I just thought 'strange guys' and I wanted to leave," said the woman.
The documents released Wednesday detailed terror, confusion and compassion among people helping the wounded after gunfire rained from a 32nd floor hotel room on a crowd of 22,000 people attending the Route 91 Harvest Festival concert on the Las Vegas Strip.
One woman told police she refused to leave her lifeless friend, whose eyes were still and lips turned blue, until a group of men picked her off the ground and guided her to a fence. One left a red bandanna on her friend's face.
A stagehand made a run for his pickup truck when he was suddenly surrounded by people begging for a ride away from the scene.
"I told them to get in however they could," he said.
A woman who fell wounded said another woman who pushed her was shot five times. She decided to play dead.
"A good guy just grabbed me and said, 'Love, you're gonna die here if I leave you here,'" she told police.
A housekeeper at the Mandalay Bay described her discomfort at Paddock sitting at a table eating soup and staring at her as she cleaned his hotel room four days before the shooting.
Clark County Sheriff Joe Lombardo said early this month the police investigation was not finished. He also apologized to the public for the release of information that he said would "further traumatize a wounded community."
Trump calls some undocumented immigrants 'animals'
President Trump used extraordinarily harsh rhetoric to renew his call for stronger immigration laws Wednesday, calling undocumented immigrants "animals" and venting frustration at Mexican officials who he said "do nothing" to help the United States.
“We have people coming into the country or trying to come in, we're stopping a lot of them, but we're taking people out of the country. You wouldn't believe how bad these people are," Trump said.
"These aren't people. These are animals."
Trump's comments came in a freewheeling, hourlong White House meeting with local California leaders opposed to so-called "sanctuary city" policies. "California's law provides safe harbor to some of the most vicious and violent offenders on Earth, like MS-13 gang members putting innocent men, women, and children at the mercy of these sadistic criminals," he said.
His comment about "animals" came after Fresno County Sheriff Margaret Mims said state law forbids her from telling U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement about undocumented immigrants in her jail — even if she suspects they're part of a gang.
Trump's remarks were reminiscent of his first press conference as a presidential candidate in 2015, when he said the United States had become a "dumping ground" for people other countries didn't want.
"When Mexico sends its people, they're not sending their best," he said then. "They're bringing drugs. They're bringing crime. They're rapists.
No dad to escort bride at royal wedding Saturday
Meghan Markle announced Thursday her father will not be at her marriage to Prince Harry due to health problems.
"Sadly, my father will not be attending our wedding," she said in a statement released by Kensington Palace. "I have always cared for my father and hope he can be given the space he needs to focus on his health."
The palace has not revealed details about 73-year-old Thomas Markle's health issues, but the celebrity website TMZ says he is hospitalized in California after undergoing a procedure to clear blocked coronary arteries.
He reportedly told the website he was okay but needed to rest. Thomas Markle had been scheduled to walk his daughter down the aisle when she weds her prince Saturday at St. George's Chapel at Windsor Castle.
It is possible Doria Ragland, Meghan Markle's mother, will fill that role instead. No replacement has been officially named.
Meghan Markle's statement came as military personnel rehearsed a procession on the streets of Windsor.
Planners used Thursday's practice session to finalize some of the details of Saturday's gala wedding at St. George's Chapel on the grounds of Windsor Castle.
The wedding day festivities will include a 25-minute carriage ride outside the castle grounds by the newlyweds after the ceremony is concluded. More than 2,600 members of the public have been invited onto the castle grounds to watch the procession.
A large military contingent will also take part, reflecting Harry's years of military service.
Markle's mother has arrived in England and is expected to meet Queen Elizabeth II — Harry's grandmother — and other senior royals in the two days left before the wedding.
Ragland — who arrived carrying a Burberry suit bag, a possible clue to her wedding outfit — will visit with Prince Charles and his wife Camilla, Prince William and his wife Kate, and other members of the family her daughter will officially join Saturday.
The drama surrounding Mr. Markle, and harsh comments about Meghan Markle made by estranged members of her extended family who were not invited to the wedding, have increasingly dominated tabloid coverage of the royal wedding in recent days.