(NAPSI)—Every year, some 35 million Americans move to a new home. If you’re ever among them, you should know that three simple steps can help you go a long way toward more savings and less stress:
1. Downsize. Donate, sell or toss anything you don’t love, need or use. Pay special attention to bulky, heavy stuff such as:
• Books and magazines. Are you really going to read them again?
• Food. Why pay movers to pack and lug 80-cent cans of tomatoes or $1 boxes of pasta?
• Old appliances. A washing machine lasts about 10 years, a dryer 13. It may pay to buy new ones for your new home.
2. Comparison shop. The American Moving & Storage Association recommends getting at least three in-home quotes.
3. Time your move. Mid-week and mid-month can offer better deals and more flexible dates with movers. Also, get an early start the day of your move. Two of the best time-savers:
• If you live in an apartment, reserve elevator access for moving day.
• Save a parking spot for the moving truck in front of your building.
For further moving facts and tips, go to www.Moving.org.
On the Net:North American Precis Syndicate, Inc.(NAPSI)