Dustin Pedroia doubles to score Brock Holt with Boston's second run in the fifth inning. The Red Sox didn't need any more Sunday in a 4-0 victory over the visiting Diamondbacks.
BOSTON - There was a dropped fly ball, a base-running mistake, a ball lost in the sun, a dropped throw and, above all, there was little hitting. Very little hitting.
Pitcher Jake Peavy earned a standing ovation after allowing two runs on four hits in his Red Sox debut.
D-backs pitcher Patrick Corbin matched Boston pitcher Jake Peavy pitch for pitch until giving up a home run to Shane Victorino in the eighth inning. Corbin's record fell to 12-3.
BOSTON - Jake Peavy tipped his hat to the crowd as he left the mound to a standing ovation after his first start since joining the Boston Red Sox.
BOSTON - Cody Ross wasn't seeking revenge against the team that let him go. He just wanted a win and he gave it to the Arizona Diamondbacks with a decisive homer.
The Diamondbacks' Paul Goldschmidt rounds the bases after hitting a two-run homer in the first inning in Boston.
The Diamondbacks' Cody Ross scores on a single in the fifth inning. Ross had four hits against his former team, one a game-winning homer.
Tampa Bay's Matt Moore pitched his first complete-game shutout. "I think that's probably the best game I've ever thrown," he said.
BOSTON - Matt Moore keeps struggling when he warms up in the bullpen before the game. Then he dominates when he gets out to the mound.
In "USA Today," Jennifer Garner says that the Boston Red Sox 2004 World Series title was the impetus for her marriage to Ben Affleck. Earlier this year when Affleck accepted the award for the best picture "Argo" at the 85th Academy Awards , he thanked his wife for "working on our marriage fo…
Marlon Byrd’s baseball story has several chapters and a little bit of everything.
• Chicago White Sox star Paul Konerko, on the seven-day disabled list with a concussion, is taking it easy this weekend and then will be re-evaluated by doctors. Konerko will have to pass certain tests and then be cleared by a major-league medical director. The 36-year-old has been feeling c…
• Mariners 7, Angels 4: In Anaheim, Calif., starter Hisashi Iwakuma took a four-hitter into the eighth inning, John Jason homered and the Mariners ended a five-game skid.
• Red Sox 8, Yankees 6: In New York, Curtis Granderson misplayed Pedro Ciriaco's ninth inning flyball into a go-ahead triple, and Boston beat New York after Mark Teixeira had tied the score with a two-run homer in the eighth.
Brandon Magee grew up liking the Boston Red Sox. "They had B's on their hats," he said. "For Brandon." His dream came true this year when the major-league team drafted him in the 23rd round.
• Yankees 10, Red Sox 3: In New York, Raul Ibanez and Russell Martin each hit two-run homers and Curtis Granderson capped the scoring with an eighth-inning grand slam as Ichiro Suzuki made his home debut for the Yankees. Phil Hughes gave up three solo homers but little else in seven innings.
• Cal Ripken Jr.'s 74-year-old mother was found with her hands bound in the back seat of her car Wednesday after she said she was kidnapped at gunpoint a day earlier at her home outside Baltimore and driven around blindfolded by her abductor, police said. Investigators do not know the kidnap…
• Angels 11, Royals 6: In Anaheim, Calif., Jered Weaver won his seventh straight start to tie a career-best, and Mike Trout and Torii Hunter homered for Los Angeles.