Ironwood Ridge quarterback Tyler Williams heads a class of at least 13 Southern Arizona high school football players who expect to sign letters of intent with four-year colleges today.
Williams, the Arizona Daily Star's 2012 Southern Arizona Offensive Player of the Year, plans to officially commit to Air Force just days after making a verbal commitment. He's one of five local football players expected to sign with FBS (Division I) programs. Fifteen are signing with smaller colleges; at least 20 more are expected to play at the junior college level.
Here's a look at those who are expected to sign with four-year programs:
• Salpointe Catholic (6): OL Travis Fister, Southern Methodist University; LB Carlos Carroll, SMU; RB Johnny Peña, Brown University; OL Dylan Greenberg, Youngstown State; OL Cody Gibson, West Virginia Wesleyan; TE Jack Dobyns, Chadron State College
• Ironwood Ridge (3): QB Tyler Williams, Air Force; WR/DB Cris Thorson, Colorado Mesa University; WR/DB John Robert Klass, Colorado Mesa
• Sabino (2): RB/LB Matt Brindley, Adams State; WR/DB Sunthi Danh, Colorado Mesa
• Tucson (1): OL Antonio Rosales, San Diego State
• Empire (1): RB/LB Spencer Woody, Colorado Mesa