Arizona received a commitment from Donovan Laie on Monday night, and in doing so accomplished three things in one fell swoop.
Laie is the 16th player to commit to Arizona's 2018 class.
One, the Wildcats added another recruit from the all-important Southern California area. Laie is also one of three players in the last two weeks to commit to Arizona from the San Diego-area, coming from Oceanside High School. The others are receiver Thomas Marcus and running back Martell Irby.
Two, the Wildcats desperately wanted to add offensive lineman, and the three-star-rated offensive tackle brings much needed size and depth to Arizona's offensive line, which is set to lose seniors Jacob Alsadek, Layth Friekh and Gerhard de Beer, all currently starters. Arizona might appeal to get Friekh another year, but that's not guaranteed. Laie, listed at 6-6 and 275 pounds, is the second offensve lineman to commit for 2018, joining local product David Watson of Amphitheater.
Lastly, Arizona added its first recruit of Polynesian descent in the 2018 class. UA coach Rich Rodriguez has mentioned that the Wildcats need to recruit the Polynesian community better, which was a recruiting staple for both Dick Tomey and Mike Stoops when they coached at Arizona.
Laie picked Arizona over offers from six other programs, including Colorado, Oregon State and San Diego State. Scout.com rates Laie as the 4th-best offensive tackle in California.
Of note, Rodriguez mentioned last week that the Wildcats will likely only sign 18 players in the 2018 class, which would mean — assuming all current commits stick it out through signing day, which is unlikely — Arizona only has two slots remaining.
ARIZONA 2018 COMMITS (16)
- Armani Adams, S, St. Petersburg, Fla. (Lakewood)
- Trey Adams, WR, Frisco, Texas (Wakeland)
- McKenzie Barnes, DB, Fresno, Calif. (Edison)
- Jaiden Dockery, S, Lancaster, Texas
- Jhevon Hill, DB-ATH, San Bernardino, Calif. (Cajon)
- Martell Irby, RB, San Diego (Morse)
- Mykee Irving, DT, Calabasas, Calif.
- Issaiah Johnson, LB, Los Alamitos, Calif.
- Jamarye Joiner, QB/ATH, Vail (Cienega)
- Donovan Laie, OT, Oceanside, Calif.
- Thomas Marcus, WR/ATH, San Diego (Horizon)
- Jake Peters, TE, Ranco Santa Margarita, Calif. (Santa Margarita)
- Jaden Mitchell, WR, Las Vegas (Desert Pines)
- Darrius Smith, RB, Pearland, Texas (Glenda Dawson)
- David Watson, OT, Tucson (Amphitheater)
- Haki Woods, DB, Pima College