Notes and takeaways from the Arizona Wildcats’ media availability after their 10th practice of training camp Thursday night.
* Arizona’s practice Thursday night started late due to lightning and heavy rain, and only lasted for about an hour. The Wildcats will practice in the morning on Friday and Saturday in full pads.
* New UA president Robert C. Robbins spoke to the team before practice started. Rodriguez called it a “nice talk.”
* The Wildcats added a big body to its 2018 recruiting class late last night, securing a commitment from 300-pounder Mykee Irving. The three-star recruit from Calabasas, California, also held an offer from UCLA.
* Arizona’s punt returners practiced by receiving punts while Rodriguez squirted a water gun at them. Rodriguez said that he is “pretty excited” about the punt return unit, which on Thursday included receivers Tony Ellison, Shun Brown, Cam Denson, Tyrell Johnson and freshman cornerback Tony Wallace.
* About Arizona’s defensive progress through fall camp so far, RichRod said “it’s been good at times and it’s been ugly at times."
* Linebacker Tony Fields II has been the most-talked about newcomer so far through fall camp, and the freshman spoke to the media for the first time on Thursday since enrolling in January. Fields mentioned that he arrived at Arizona weighing 194 pounds and has already bulked up to 227, with plans to reach 230-235 by the time the season rolls around. Fields is a favorite to start at the "Will" linebacker position.
About the raves, Fields said "It’s great, it’s fascinating, but I feel like I’m not done yet. I have a lot more to do. I haven’t really made the impact I want to make yet because I haven’t played in any games yet."
* UA safeties coach Jahmile Addae and sophomore quarterback Khalil Tate have been amongst those to point to redshirt freshman safety Jarrius Wallace as a standout so far in fall camp. Rodriguez echoed the sentiment. Wallace also bulked up, from about 155 last year to 170 now.
"He’s a year older, a year stronger," Rodriguez said. "He plays fast, he’s physical and he’s healthy. This is the best he’s looked."