Quick hitters from the Arizona Wildcats’ media availability after their eighth practice of spring Monday afternoon:
* UA coach Rich Rodriguez said new quarterback signee K'Hari Lane from Montezuma, Georgia, was "completely overlooked" in recruiting. The coaches liked Lane’s demeanor when he visited campus last month. Arizona officially announced the addition of Lane on Monday and listed him at 6 feet, 222 pounds.
* Rodriguez said Arizona is still talking to other quarterbacks. He didn't name names, but a name that's still out there: Notre Dame graduate transfer Malik Zaire.
* New special-teams coach Brian Knorr will help with the defense as well, specifically the pass rush. He has recruiting ties to Southern California’s Inland Empire as well as Texas from his days at Air Force.
* I asked running backs coach Calvin Magee about J.J. Taylor's receiving ability. Magee said Taylor has "exceptional hands and knows how to run routes." Taylor dominated Arizona’s linebackers in one-on-one drills during last week’s open practice.
* Rodriguez again referenced using tight ends in "different ways." Arizona's tight ends have the athleticism to split wide. It’s just a matter of feeding them. I’ll have more on this topic later tonight.
* Magee, who also coaches tight ends, further explained how they’re being used: “We’re seeing what they can handle out there, what they can bring so we won’t always have to sub when we want to go into some of those sets, some of those formations. If they can handle it, that will definitely help us.”
* Receiver Shawn Poindexter, who’s listed at 6-5, 210, says he's 6-5 1/2, “maybe 6-6.” He’s currently 208 pounds and would like to get up to 225 by the start of the season. He had a vertical jump of 38 inches during his high school volleyball days.
* Arizona will hold another open, free football practice on Friday, March 31, at 6 p.m. Rodriguez wants to give the team a second opportunity “to experience more of a game-type atmosphere.”
* Receiver Cam Denson had a walking boot on his right foot as he made his way from the practice field to the locker room.
* Defensive end Jalen Cochran had a helmet as he left practice. He was held out of last week's scrimmage because of an undisclosed injury.