The Arizona Wildcats continue to stockpile safeties and make inroads in the state of Texas.
Arizona received a verbal commitment Wednesday from Christian Young, a three-star safety from Foster High in Richmond, Texas.
Young, who recently de-committed from Iowa State, tweeted that he is “100 percent committing” to the UA.
Young is the fifth defensive back in Arizona’s 2018 class, which currently consists of 17 players. Four of the five are projected to play safety, which might be the deepest position on the current roster. Arizona uses three in its base defense.
He is also the fourth prospect from Texas, a state Rich Rodriguez previously ignored but which is now becoming an important recruiting area.
Rodriguez said at one point that this class would consist of 18 players. It’s unclear whether Arizona can exceed that number after bringing in a larger class this year.
The Wildcats still need to add linemen on both side of the ball. One possibility could be Noah Jefferson.
The former USC defensive tackle was committed to Arizona earlier this year. But Jefferson never became a Wildcat, in part because of issues that came up in his background check.
However, Jefferson tweeted Wednesday that he has received another offer from the UA.
Just received my 6th offer from University of Arizona, All Glory to God‼️‼️ pic.twitter.com/lkWK1hIN2W— Noah Jefferson (@noahjefferson_) November 15, 2017
Jefferson is currently playing for Arizona Western College, where he has 13 tackles, including 1.5 for losses, a forced fumble, an interception and a pass breakup.
ARIZONA 2018 COMMITS (17)
- Armani Adams, S, St. Petersburg, Fla. (Lakewood)
- Tre Adams, WR, Frisco, Texas (Wakeland)
- McKenzie Barnes, CB, Fresno, Calif. (Edison)
- Jaiden Dockery, S, Lancaster, Texas
- Jhevon Hill, S/ATH, San Bernardino, Calif. (Cajon)
- Martell Irby, RB, San Diego (Morse)
- Mykee Irving, DT, Calabasas, Calif.
- Issaiah Johnson, LB, Los Alamitos, Calif.
- Jamarye Joiner, QB/ATH, Vail (Cienega)
- Donovan Laie, OT, Oceanside, Calif.
- Thomas Marcus, WR/ATH, San Diego (Horizon)
- Jaden Mitchell, WR, Las Vegas (Desert Pines)
- Jake Peters, TE, Rancho Santa Margarita, Calif. (Santa Margarita)
- Darrius Smith, RB, Pearland, Texas (Glenda Dawson)
- David Watson, OT, Tucson (Amphitheater)
- Zach Williams, ATH, Johns Creek, Ga.
- Christian Young, S, Richmond, Texas (Foster)