Canyon del Oro's unbeaten run in baseball now spans 17 games over two seasons, the program's last loss coming May 5 of last spring to Catalina Foothills.
Following that defeat, CDO went on to sweep four straight en route to claiming the 4A-I state championship with a double-digit blowout of Glendale Cactus.
And the Dorados' start this spring is equally dominant.
Over the squad's 13-game victory spree to start this spring, CDO has outscored its opposition 132-29.
Of their last 26 games, CDO emerged with wins in 25.
Len Anderson's crew enters tonight's Tucson Conquistadores Lancer Baseball Classic championship as the last undefeated team in the state. The Dorados have seven regulars batting .430 or higher paced by a .550 mark from Alan Drake, which includes a .679 on-base percentage.
Nearly a month into the spring season, here is a quick look at four other local squads that have begun the spring seriously on the right side of the win column:
• Salpointe Catholic, girls tennis: Winners of three of the last four 5A-I state championships, the Lancers look likely to enter the state tourney as heavy favorites.
Salpointe Catholic is 11-0 behind star cousins Lauren and Courtney Amos. The record is clean despite playing a brutal schedule that included 5-4 wins over 4A-I defending state title-holder Catalina Foothills and Phoenix Xavier Prep - maybe the Lancers main contender for the championship this season.
Aside from those two wins, the Lancers have beat their other nine opponents a combined 77-4.
Salpointe also won the state title in 2004 before the 5A was split into two divisions.
• Catalina, boys volleyball: Perfect in the regular season, Catalina (5-0) looks like the class of the area in the 4A conference behind star outside hitter Ryan Graham, the brother of Liz and Emily Graham - both of whom made the Star's All-Southern Arizona girls volleyball squads.
Catalina also won the Tucson Unified School District Invitational and owns four wins over Catalina Foothills, perhaps the second-best squad locally in the 4A.
• Sahuaro, baseball: Sahuaro's record as a team is impressive: eight wins, one loss. But standout Jake Cole's first month individually is stunning.
Cole is his usual self at the plate, hitting over .400 with five home runs through nine games.
It is on the mound where the North Carolina-signee is showing his versatility, compiling an 0.37 ERA in 19 innings, including a better than 3-to-1 strikeout-to-walk ratio entering Thursday.
• Santa Rita star point guard Terrell Stoglin, Southern Arizona's all-time leading scorer, was chosen to play in the Capital Classic, a prestigious high school basketball game set for April 15 at American University in Washington, D.C.
The game pits the nation's top senior prospects against the premier players in the D.C.-area. Alongside Stoglin, who will play for Maryland next year, on the U.S. All-Stars will be three McDonald's All-Americans: Joe Jackson (Memphis), Jayvaughn Pinkston (Villanova) and Fab Melo (Syracuse). Ten players on Stoglin's team will be headed to ACC or Big East schools.
The alumni list for this game is spectacular. The list includes Carmelo Anthony, Patrick Ewing, LeBron James, Michael Jordan, Magic Johnson and Moses Malone.
• Notably absent from the Arizona Basketball Coaches Association all-state Seniors Game is Palo Verde's Bryce Cotton, a miscommunication with the Titans first-year coach Chris Klassen keeping the acrobatic 6-foot guard from making an appearance on the roster.
But the numbers bear full proof that Cotton is indeed one of the top 20 players who will be graduating from Arizona high schools this year.
For the season, Cotton, who is receiving interest from several colleges, averaged more than 23 points, 7.5 rebounds and four assists per game.
StarNet poll question
Who is the best girls tennis player in Southern Arizona?
Last week's results
What school owns the best softball program in Southern Arizona?
1. Canyon del Oro (44 percent); 2. Cienega (24); 3. Sunnyside (8); T4. Salpointe Catholic and Douglas (6).
Visit varsity.azstarnet.com to vote and find the latest sports stats.