• Cardinals 8, Brewers 6: In Milwaukee, Carlos Beltran and Allen Craig hit towering home runs in St. Louis' six-run second inning, and the Cardinals held off Milwaukee on Wednesday.
• Padres 2, Pirates 1: In San Diego, Ian Kennedy pitched seven strong innings, combining with two relievers on a four-hitter, and Yonder Alonso drove in two runs as San Diego beat Pittsburgh to avoid a three-game sweep.
• Phillies 4, Rockies 3: In Philadelphia, Michael Young hit the winning single with one out in the ninth inning after Carlos Ruiz tied the game with a double, pushing Philadelphia past Colorado.
• Dodgers 4, Marlins 1: In Miami, Zack Greinke allowed one run in eight innings to win his fourth start in a row Wednesday, and the Los Angeles Dodgers took advantage of sloppy defense by Miami for the second consecutive night.
• Nationals 11, Cubs 6: In Chicago, Jayson Werth and Scott Hairston hit three-run homers to lead the Washington Nationals.
• Yankees 4, Blue Jays 2: In New York, Alfonso Soriano hit a tiebreaking two-run homer with two outs in the eighth inning, Ichiro Suzuki got his 4,000th hit between the major leagues and Japan, and the Yankees handed the Toronto Blue Jays their 12th straight loss in New York.
The 39-year-old Suzuki hit a liner off Toronto's R.A. Dickey (9-12) that bounced just beyond diving third baseman Brett Lawrie for the milestone hit in the first inning. Suzuki broke a tie with Lou Gehrig when he got his 2,722nd major league hit in his 13th season. The speedy outfielder amassed 1,278 hits in nine seasons with Orix of Japan's Pacific League.
• Tigers 7, Twins 1: In Detroit, Torii Hunter hit a go-ahead, two-run double in the seventh inning and scored from second base on a passed ball to help Detroit beat Minnesota.
Drew Smyly (5-0) struck out two in a perfect inning in relief of Anibal Sanchez. Jose Veras entered with two outs in the eighth inning and closed for his first save with the Tigers.
• Orioles 4, Rays 2: In Baltimore, Chris Davis hit his major league-leading 46th home run, Adam Jones also homered, and Baltimore beat Tampa Bay to avoid a three-game sweep.
• Mariners 5, Athletics 3: In Oakland, Calif., Brendan Ryan hit a two-run double in the sixth and added an RBI single in the eighth to help Seattle past Oakland.
Michael Morse and Brad Miller homered for the Mariners, who overcame an uneven start by Hisashi Iwakuma to beat the A's for the fourth time in the past five games.
• Indians 3, Angels 1: In Anaheim, Calif., Justin Masterson pitched effectively into the seventh inning, Nick Swisher hit a two-run homer and Cleveland completed a three-game sweep of Los Angeles.
• Rangers 5, Astros 4: In Arlington, Texas, Elvis Andrus hit a sacrifice fly in the bottom of the ninth inning to score pinch runner Adam Rosales and give the Texas Rangers their major league-leading 40th comeback win of the season.
• White Sox 5, Royals 2: In Kansas City, Mo., Dayan Viciedo hit his second career grand slam to highlight a five-run inning, and Andre Rienzo picked up his first career win as Chicago beat punchless Kansas City.
• Red Sox 12, Giants 1: In San Francisco, Stephen Drew and Will Middlebrooks each hit a home run, Jonny Gomes and Jarrod Saltalamacchia drove in two runs apiece for Boston.