Jason Heyward is helped by the Mets' John Buck and umpire Greg Gibson after a fastball to the jaw sent the Brave crumpling to the ground.


NEW YORK - Citi Field has been a danger zone for the Atlanta Braves this summer.

Jason Heyward sustained a broken right jaw when he was hit by a pitch Wednesday, becoming the second key member of the NL East leaders to go down with a scary injury at the Mets' ballpark. Pitcher Tim Hudson broke his ankle last month on a gruesome play at first base, ending his season.

"It's just a fluke thing that it's happened twice here," Chris Johnson said after his three-run homer in the 10th inning sent Atlanta to a 4-1 win.

Heyward went down in a heap during a frightening scene in the sixth, hit by a 90-mph fastball from Jonathon Niese. With blood in his mouth, Heyward was examined by Mets doctors and taken to a hospital for X-rays.

He was diagnosed with two fractures in his jaw and will undergo surgery today in Atlanta. The team said it will have an estimated timetable for his return after the operation.

Heyward's grandparents were at Citi Field and accompanied him to the hospital, along with trainer Jeff Porter. Heyward and Porter stayed behind in New York as the Braves traveled to St. Louis for a four-game series that begins today.

"He never lost consciousness," manager Fredi Gonzalez said. "Right before he went to the hospital he popped his head into the clubhouse to say goodbye to some of the guys."

Atlanta (77-49), with baseball's best record, got an RBI single from Freddie Freeman, and another impressive start by rookie Alex Wood in splitting the two-game series for its 20th victory in 24 games. The Braves also benefited from a disputed call in the 10th.

Andrelton Simmons singled off Scott Atchison (3-2) with two outs, and Freeman hit a two-strike grounder back toward the box that ticked off the bottom of Scott Rice's glove and rolled behind him. The reliever retrieved it and fired to first, where Freeman was called safe. Johnson then launched a drive to left field on Greg Burke's first big league pitch since he was recalled Sunday.