• Cincinnati outfielder Ryan Ludwick tore cartilage in his right shoulder while sliding headfirst into third base during the season opener and will need surgery, leaving the defending NL Central champions without one of their main run producers for an uncertain period. The Reds didn't project how long he'll be out after he has surgery Wednesday.
• As the Chicago Cubs and city officials try to negotiate a $300 million renovation of Wrigley Field, the mayor of nearby Rosemont wants the team's owners to know they're welcome in his town. Bradley Stephens is offering 25 acres of land at no charge if they decide to build a new ballpark.
• Shaun Marcum was unable to pitch a simulated game for the Mets because of pain in his neck and will not be able to come off the disabled list to start Sunday against Miami. Aaron Laffey and Collin McHugh are the most likely candidates to replace Marcum.
• The Mets' Johan Santana, 34, had shoulder surgery Tuesday for the second time in 31 months. Surgeons repaired a tear in the capsule in the front of his left shoulder, and he's likely to miss the entire season.
• Atlanta reliever Jonny Venters will be shut down for a month after receiving a platelet-rich plasma injection in his sprained left pitching elbow.
• Troy Tulowitzki's home run Tuesday in Colorado's win over Milwaukee was his 131st since 2007, the most among active shortstops.
• Derek Jeter will not be ready to come off the disabled list when he's first eligible Saturday, Yankees general manager Brian Cashman said Tuesday. "That ain't happening," said Cashman, who added New York will take its time with Jeter's rehab from October surgery on his left ankle.
• Rapper and recording producer Jay-Z is expanding into sports representation and has signed Yankees second baseman Robinson Cano away from agent Scott Boras to be a client.
• Baltimore third baseman Manny Machado, 20, joined Brooks Robinson, Ron Hansen and Boog Powell as the only Orioles to make opening day starts at age 20 or younger. Robinson did it twice, starting at 19 in 1957 and at 20 in 1958.
• Indians pitcher Scott Kazmir has a sore abdominal muscle and might miss his first scheduled start Saturday at Tampa Bay.
• The last no-hitter by a Rangers pitcher was Kenny Rogers' perfect game against the Angels on July 28, 1994.