• Canyon del Oro High School product Ian Kinsler had an RBI double and scored twice and Elvis Andrus had two hits, drove in a run and scored another, lifting the Rangers to a 6-2 win over the Athletics on Thursday.
Kinsler hit an RBI double in the fourth and scored on a double by Andrus.
• Welington Castillo hit a two-run triple off Chris Capuano in the first inning Thursday, leading the Cubs to an 8-1 victory over the Dodgers at Camelback Ranch. Capuano, a former Tucson Sidewinders and Arizona Diamondbacks pitcher who is battling for a spot in the Dodgers' starting rotation, gave up five runs on six hits in 4 1/3 innings.
• Mike Trout homered and scored three runs, Howie Kendrick and Albert Pujols each had two hits and the Angels roughed up John Danks in a 12-4 win over the White Sox in Tempe. Trout hit his first home run of spring training leading off the bottom of the first.
• Michael Morse homered twice and drove in five runs to lead the Mariners back from a six-run deficit for an 8-7 win over the Reds.
• Indians pitcher Zach McAllister allowed three runs in 3 1/3 innings, and the Royals won 5-3 in Goodyear. Manager Terry Francona told McAllister that he earned the fourth spot in the Cleveland rotation on Sunday.
• The Nationals optioned three players, including Sahuaro High School graduate Pat McCoy, a pitcher, to their minor-league camp.
• Prince Fielder was scratched from the Tigers' lineup Thursday after getting a flat tire on the way to the game. Replacement Matt Tuiasosopo went 2 for 4 with two runs scored.
• The Phillies announced that Cole Hamels will be their opening day starter. It's the first time he's gotten the call.
• Outfielder Matt Holliday returned to the Cardinals lineup after missing nearly a week with the flu.