PHOENIX - The Los Angeles Dodgers placed center fielder Matt Kemp on the 15-day disabled list Monday with joint inflammation in his troublesome left shoulder.
Manager Don Mattingly said Kemp tried to take early batting practice before Monday night's game at Arizona but experienced more soreness.
Kemp was injured while swinging the bat against San Francisco on Friday night and hasn't played since, but Mattingly said the team doesn't think the problem is related to the shoulder surgery Kemp had in the offseason.
It's Kemp's second stint on the DL this season. He missed 24 games from May 30 to June 25 with a right hamstring strain.
"I just want to play and I want to be 100 percent when I play," said a frustrated Kemp, who Kemp is hitting .254 with four homers and 24 RBIs in 61 games.
Los Angeles also placed right-hander Stephen Fife on the 15-day DL with right shoulder bursitis and added newly acquired righty Ricky Nolasco to the roster.
Nolasco, traded from Miami, will start tonight against Arizona.
Howard out for 6-8 weeks
PHILADELPHIA - Phillies slugger Ryan Howard needs surgery to repair a torn meniscus in his left knee and will miss at least six to eight weeks.
"It could have been much more significant damage," general manager Ruben Amaro Jr. said.
Howard, the 2006 NL MVP, was hitting .266 with 11 homers and 43 RBIs.
Cubs send Hairston to Nats
CHICAGO - The Washington Nationals acquired outfielder Scott Hairston, a Canyon del Oro High grad, from the Chicago Cubs in exchange for minor league pitcher Ivan Pineyro.
The Cubs signed Hairston to a two-year deal in the offseason to platoon in right field, but he struggled with a .172 average, eight homers and 19 RBIs. He had 20 homers with the Mets last year.
• The Rockies put pitcher Roy Oswalt on the 15-day disabled list with a strained left hamstring.
• Boston lefty reliever Andrew Miller will have surgery on his injured left foot and likely will miss the rest of the season.
• The Brewers activated Ryan Braun from the DL after he was out for a month with a bruised right thumb. But Milwaukee had to put Aramis Ramirez on the DL again with a left knee injury.
• The Giants put infielder Joaquin Arias on the 15-day DL with appendicitis. He also missed eight games with a hamstring pull.
• Yankees shortstop Derek Jeter went 0 for 2 with a walk and a run scored in five innings for Scranton/Wilkes-Barre in his third rehab game for his ankle.
• Righty Jeremy Bonderman's comeback with Seattle is over after he was designated for assignment following two straight poor starts.