PHOENIX — The Arizona Diamondbacks have acquired closer Addison Reed from the Chicago White Sox in exchange for third base prospect Matt Davidson.
Reed, who turns 25 later this month, ranked fifth in the American League and seventh overall in the majors with 40 saves last season. In 68 appearances, he went 5-4 with a 3.79 ERA and had eight blown saves. He walked 23 and struck out 72. Opponents batted .215 against the right-hander.
Davidson, 22, made his major league debut last season, appearing in 31 games with Arizona. He hit .237 with three homers.
- Boone Logan
- and the Rockies completed their $16.5 million, three-year deal. The left-handed reliever was 5-2 with a 3.23 ERA in 2013 with the Yankees.
- John Axford
- has reached agreement on a contract with the Indians. The Brewers traded Axford to the Cardinals in August. He blew seven saves last season. The 6-foot-5 right-hander had 46 saves for the Brewers in 2011.
- The Cardinals have signed free-agent second baseman
- Mark Ellis
- , 36, to a one-year deal.
- The Cubs and left-hander
- Wesley Wright
- have agreed to a one-year contract worth $1,425,000.
- The Braves have agreed to sign free-agent right-handed pitcher
- Gavin Floyd
- to a one-year deal.