It took Davellyn Whyte 9 minutes 20 seconds before she even attempted her first shot against Colorado, a missed three-point attempt.

Her next shot was blocked by CU's Chucky Jeffery with 23.3 seconds left in the first half on a breakaway layup attempt.

In a 55-42 loss to the No. 21-ranked Buffs on Friday night, Arizona's eighth straight, Whyte was not herself.

Arizona's leading scorer, and the fourth-leading scorer in the Pac-12, scored six points on 2-of-9 shooting. It was the second time in three games that Whyte didn't score in double figures after she had scored 10 or more in 30 straight.

In the second half, Whyte's frustration started to show.

After a missed layup with nine minutes left, Whyte was slow to get back on defense, despite yelling and prodding from the sideline from UA head coach Niya Butts.

On Arizona's next offensive possession Whyte missed a jumper near the basket and jogged back on defense again.

With 8:14 left, Whyte was removed from the game, walked past Butts and went straight to the bench. Assistant coach E.C. Hill sat next to Whyte and appeared to be yelling at the senior.

"Dav has done a lot for this team, a lot for this program, and she knows what she needs to do," Butts said. "When we make a mistake, we have to get back on defense and be able to move on to the next play. I think frustration got the best of her tonight. We had to make some changes there."

No players were available for comment after the game.

By the time Whyte subbed out, Arizona (11-13, 3-10 Pac-12) was trailing 47-31, and it wouldn't get much closer.

The Wildcats committed 25 turnovers, tying a season high. In the second half, the UA connected on 5 of 20 shots (25 percent) and was outscored 25-19. Arizona shot 15 of 46 for the game, and 4 of 11 from beyond the arc.

"It was just tough for us to score," Butts said. "We didn't share the ball. We had some spurts, just not enough to get the win."

The Buffs shot 4 of 17 from three-point range (23.5 percent) and committed 20 turnovers.

After an 11-11 tie, Colorado (19-5, 8-5) began a 10-0 run and led by more than 10 points for most of the opening half. That is, until the UA finished on an 8-0 run, going into halftime trailing 30-23.

After intermission, Arizona returned stagnant and didn't score until the 13:35 mark when Whyte scored her first basket on a three.

With 14:16 left, starting UA point guard Carissa Crutchfield came down awkwardly on her knee after a shot and had to be helped off the court. She returned five minutes later and scored seven of Arizona's last 11 points.

Up next

• What: Utah at Arizona

• When: 5 p.m. Sunday

• Radio: 1400-AM