Arizona Wildcats coach Sean Miller barely missed some big contract bonuses this season, but he could make up for it all this weekend.
Miller's contract, with guaranteed pay of $2.2 million this season, includes an extra $50,000 bonus if the Wildcats reach the Elite Eight by winning tonight and another $175,000 if they get to the Final Four.
Miller has already earned $20,000 extra for UA winning 20 regular-season games and $75,000 for reaching the Sweet 16.
Miller would have received an extra $20,000 if the Wildcats won 25 regular-season games - they had 24 - and he did not get bonuses of $50,000 each for the Pac-12 regular-season and tournament titles. Arizona finished in a second-place tie in the Pac-12 and lost in the semifinals of the Pac-12 tournament.
So far, Miller's total pay this season is $2,295,000 plus any academic incentives. He receives $1.1 million in base pay, $700,000 for peripheral duties and $400,000 from Nike and IMG.
Two academic bonuses could also kick in: Miller will probably get $25,000 for the UA's APR being 949 or better - UA's four-year rolling average for retention and eligibility was 975 last spring - and he could get $25,000 if the team has an overall GPA of 2.6 or better. His maximum incentives are $985,000, plus an annual retention bonus of $300,000 that he is scheduled to receive after next season.
According to USA Today, Ohio State's Thad Matta will get $20,000 for reaching the Elite Eight and another $20,000 for making the Final Four.
Matta received $40,000 when OSU received an NCAA tournament bid and $40,000 plus a one-year contract extension when the Buckeyes won the Big Ten title, according to USA Today.
Sean Miller's full contract
• UA base salary: $1.1 million
• UA peripheral duties compensation: $700,000
• Nike/IMG supplement: $400,000
• Total compensation: $2.2 million plus bonuses
Note: Miller also earns another $300,000 annually as part of a retention bonus if he stays at Arizona until 2014.
• Pac-10 regular-season championship: $50,000
• Pac-10 tournament title: $50,000
• NCAA tournament: Up to $675,000 (for reaching third round, $25,000; Sweet 16, $75,000; Elite Eight, $125,000; Final Four, $300,000; winning championship, $675,000)*
• Regular-season wins: $20,000 for 20, $40,000 for 25.*
• Final ranking: $20,000 in Top 15, $30,000 for Top 10.*
• Coach of Year award: $20,000 for Pac-10, $40,000 for national (AP, Naismith, NABC)*
• Academic Progress Rate: $25,000 for 949 or more, $50,000 for 1,000.
• Team grade-point average: $25,000 for 2.6 or better, $50,000 for 3.0 or better.
• Maximum annual incentives: $985,000
*not cumulative (receives only the highest amount possible)
• UA payment if Miller is dismissed before 2014: 50 percent of remaining base salary.
• Coach buyout if Miller leaves before 2014 season: $500,000