As featured on
Late Saturday afternoon, when almost no one except a few hundred people in the Aztecs' gym were paying attention, Pima stunned ACCAC powerhouse Cochise College 104-91. And it wasn't a fluke.
You could write 1,000 words about the Panthers' 87-77 historic victory over Tempe High School, but Patricia Hurley's T-shirt told the story all by itself. The coach's wife wore a black T-shirt with a picture on the back of a snarling Panther, a basketball trapped between its jaws.
As Andy Lopez takes stock of his first decade as Arizona's baseball coach, I look around Kindall/Sancet Stadium and see the same place I saw in 1983 when UA baseball was almost as big as UA basketball. UA's ballpark is not much different from the one occupied by Terry Francona, who is now 52 years old.
Wildcat Sports Report
Sign up to get sports news and blog headlines
- Arizona Wildcats picked No. 1 in ESPN's latest preseason poll
- Arizona basketball: Well-traveled Kadeem Allen visits Lakers
- Arizona basketball: Emmanuel Akot to reclassify, join Wildcats next season
- Rawle Alkins to withdraw from NBA Draft, return to Arizona Wildcats
- Arizona basketball: Alkins subbed out of Jazz workout
- RichRod: New Arizona Wildcats QB Donavan Tate to provide 'immediate competition'
- DE Darrell Cloy Jr. becomes latest Arizona Wildcat to take medical retirement
- Arizona Wildcats coach Rich Rodriguez not thrilled with outcomes of NCAA rule changes
- Arizona Wildcats tight end Brion Anduze forced to retire because of knee injury
- Three-star linebacker Issaiah Johnson commits to Arizona Wildcats