Craig Victor was a toddler the last time a New Orleans St. Augustine High School product played for the Arizona Wildcats.
But the 2014 UA recruiting target from the same high school says he has heard that Gene Edgerson played in two national championship games - 1997 and 2001 - and is thinking about following his footsteps.
"Arizona, of course, I'm loving Arizona right now," Victor said last week while playing in the Las Vegas Super 64 travel-ball showcase. "That might be where I'm headed. I'm not too sure, but it's looking pretty good over there."
Victor said he liked "everything" about Arizona, including an unofficial visit he took last season during the Feb. 10 UA-California game. He said he also likes how UA coach Sean Miller develops players and the fact that the UA staff has kept in close contact with him since he was an eighth-grader.
"That shows me he is interested in me," Victor said.
The 6-foot-7-inch, 205-pound Victor is also considering LSU, Kansas, Oklahoma State and Oklahoma. He said he would either decide this week or take a few visits this month and then make a decision.
Victor said his goal was to make a decision before leaving later this month for Findlay Prep, where he is transferring for his final season of high school.
Several other UA 2014 recruiting prospects are expected to narrow down their lists or make a choice in the next month or two, now that the July evaluation period has ended and most players are returning home. Younger prospects may also be getting more serious about their recruitments, too.
Here's a look at what's new with other top undecided Arizona targets that the Star caught up with in Las Vegas last week (UA has one commitment from the 2014 class, point guard Parker Jackson-Cartwright):
CLASS OF 2014
(Key: Player name, position, hometown, ESPNU ranking)
Stanley Johnson, SF, Fullerton, Calif., 12
- The field: Still open. Kentucky, Louisville, N.C. State, UCLA, USC, UNLV, others.
- The schedule: Johnson has visited UA already but said he plans to return for the Oct. 12 Red-Blue game.
- He said it: UA staff is "really genuine. That's probably the biggest thing."
Myles Turner, C, Bedford, Texas, 10
- The field: Will cut list to eight soon but may not sign until April. As of now, UA, Arkansas, Duke, Kansas, Kentucky, Memphis, Stanford, Texas, others.
- The schedule: Plans an official visit to Kansas this fall, but others not set.
- He said it: Arizona "started talking to me this year. I had a good relationship with Damon Stoudamire (UA assistant formerly at Memphis).
Cliff Alexander, PF, Chicago, 2
- The field: Open. Baylor, DePaul, Illinois, Kansas, Kentucky, others.
- The plan: Says he will take an official recruiting visit to Arizona this fall.
- He said it: "The coaches are great. I have a good relationship with Coach Book (Richardson) and Coach Miller."
Jahlil Okafor, C, Chicago, 1
- The field: Okafor narrowed his list to eight this spring - UA, Baylor, Duke, Illinois, Kentucky, Kansas, Michigan State and Ohio State.
- The plan: Okafor has already visited UA unofficially but said he will return this school year at some point. It's not clear when he will decide.
- He said it: "I just love Arizona. It's an attractive school to me."
Trey Kell, SG, San Diego, 100
- The field: San Diego State, Oregon, Gonzaga, UCLA
- The plan: Having received late offers from UA and UCLA, Kell said he plans to take some official visits in September but has not planned them.
- He said it: "Arizona's a school that any basketball player would consider."
Kameron Chatman, SF, Portland , Ore., 42
- The field: USC, Oregon, Utah.
- The plan: Chatman says he plans to set up official visits soon. He's also deciding whether to spend his senior year of high school in Portland or Long Beach, Calif.
- He said it: "I'm going to just be at home working out (in August) so that's definitely a time I can get my recruitment together."
CLASS OF 2015
Ivan Rabb, PF, Oakland, 1
- The field: Open. Texas, California, Kansas, UCLA, others
- The plan: Rabb plans to narrow down his list this fall. He visited UA for a camp but has not taken a recruiting visit.
- He said it: "My dad wants me to go away, but my mom wants me to stay near home. But she wants me to make the right decision."
Tyler Dorsey, CG, Los Angeles, 8
- The field: ASU, Connecticut, UCLA, Kentucky, Florida; just received an offer from Duke, too
- The plan: Says he probably will visit UA this year.
- He said it: "I'm just building relationships right now with the coaches."
Chance Comanche, C, Los Angeles, 47
- The field: Colorado, USC, Oregon.
- The plan: Comanche says he's pretty open at this point.
- He said it: The Wildcats "play good team ball, and they're together."
Stephen Zimmerman, C, Las Vegas 7
- The field: Kansas, Memphis, Oregon, UCLA, others
- The plan: Zimmerman visited UA as a freshman and says he will likely return this year.
- He said it: "I want to take my time and make sure I make the right decision."
Bennie Boatwright, PF, Mission Hills, Calif., 49
- The field: Boise State, Connecticut, Gonzaga, New Mexico State, others
- The plan: Boatwright said he may take an unofficial recruiting visit to UA next week.
- He said it: "I like the (UA) coaching staff and some of the players who have come out of there."
CLASS OF 2016
Vance Jackson, 6-6, Pasadena, Calif., 25
- The field: Jackson already has offers from UA, Connecticut and Washington. UCLA has also expressed interest.
- The plan: Just a sophomore, Jackson is wide open.
- He said it: "I don't know what I prefer yet. Where I'm shooting for in college is where I fit best."