Palo Verde 58, Glendale Cactus 53
At Palo Verde, with the help of a rare four-point play, the No. 7 Titans advanced to the quarterfinals of the Division II state tournament. They will face No. 2 Scottsdale Saguaro on Tuesday.
• Highlight reel: Down by two, Palo Verde's Sydni Stallworth hit a three to give her team a one-point lead. After Cactus responded with its own three, Titans senior Alicia Jones sank a three and was fouled. She made the free throw to swing the momentum back to Palo Verde for good. Jones finished with a game-high 22 points.
• He said it: "It was a back-and-forth game in the second half, but we knew that if we just kept playing our game that we would get some open looks. I'm proud of them for being so resilient." - Palo Verde coach Scott Epstein
Peoria Liberty 40, Pusch Ridge 36
At Peoria, No. 9 Pusch Ridge had an opportunity to take its first lead with just over a minute left in the fourth quarter, but Abby Maas' layup attempt rolled off the rim, and No. 8 Liberty held on to win the Division II second-round game.
• Highlight reel: Pusch Ridge juniors Gabrielle Courtney and Noelle Soltero combined for 29 points in the loss, helping the Lions overcome a slow start. They scored only five points in the first quarter and trailed 19-13 at halftime.
• He said it: "We had one of our poorest shooting nights of the year, but we stayed in it until the very end. The shots were there, but they just weren't going down. But I'm very proud of the girls and now we know that we can play with any team in Division II." - Pusch Ridge coach Lonnie Tvrdy
Gilbert Highland 67, Sierra Vista BUena 29
At Gilbert, the Colts saw their season come to an end at the hands of No. 2 Highland in the second round of the Division I state tournament.
Buena finished the season with a 14-7 record under coach Trish Perez.
• By the numbers: 9: Despite the loss, Perez's squad still nine of its final 11 games.
Green fields Country Day 59, Scottsdale Prep 22
At Prescott Valley, the third-ranked Griffins had four players score in double digits as they rolled to an easy win. Green Fields will return to Prescott Valley to face No. 6 Joseph City on Thursday.
• Highlight reel: Olivia Snyder led all scorers with 19 points. Maya Holzman had a double-double, grabbing 24 rebounds and scoring 12 points.
Duncan 47, Desert Christian 37
At Prescott Valley, No. 9 Desert Christian struggled to find its offense in the second and third quarters, leading to the Eagles' second-round exit from the Division IV state tournament.
• Highlight reel: Madison Peddy carried the scoring load for the Eagles, pouring in 17 points.
Arizona Lutheran 43, St. Gregory 32
At Prescott Valley, No. 2 Arizona Lutheran held off No. 15 St. Gregory in the second round of the Division IV state tournament at Tim's Toyota Center.
It was Lutheran's 11th win in its last 13 games.
• By the numbers: 15: St. Gregory finished 15-6.