Just over 24 hours after Sabino offensive tackle Andrew Mike committed to Vanderbilt, the 6-foot-7-inch 285-pound senior has changed his mind.
Mike de-committed from Vanderbilt on Tuesday evening but will stay in the SEC. The three-star recruit is expected to sign a national letter of intent with Florida on Wednesday.
Mike visited the Gators along with Arkansas in the last two weeks but was unable to take his official visit to Vanderbilt over the past weekend. According to Sabino coach Jay Campos, the Gators came after Mike strong since he verbally committed to the Commodores on Monday afternoon.
"They put the full court press on him in the last 24 hours," Campos said. "He was a little bummed out to tell the Vanderbilt coaches but they understood. He's very excited and is sure he made the right decision."
Campos said Tuesday night that Mike believed he was doing the right thing in choosing Vanderbilt because of the quality of education it would come with. However, after sleeping on it, Mike couldn't pass up a chance to play in the historic Ben Hill Griffin Stadium, commonly known as The Swamp.
“To go out in the swamp and play against teams like Alabama and LSU week in and week out is going to be great for him," Campos said. "The SEC is where the best college football is played from top to bottom so he is going to find out where he’s at.”
After he originally committed to Vanderbilt on Monday, Mike said he was looking forward to playing under first-year coach Derek Mason and looking forward to playing in the SEC to go against the best of the best in the country.
Even though he didn't get to take his official visit this past weekend, Mike said his visit last summer had been enough.
“I’d been there during the summer so it’s not like I hadn’t been there at all,” Mike said on Monday. “I’ve also known coach Derek Mason since my sophomore year and I felt like it was the place that fit me best academically and for football.”
Read more in Wednesday's Arizona Daily Star.