Slowly but surely, the 2014 Arizona football season is approaching. In fact, Thursday night will mark exactly three months until the Wildcats open the year against UNLV.
So with that in mind, it seems like a good time to look at some power rankings and bowl projections (!) that are floating out there today. I've also included some other links that might interest you.
• The good folks at the ESPN Pac-12 blog aren't sold on the 2014 Wildcats quite yet. In their summer power rankings, the blog ranked Arizona ninth, ahead of just Utah, Colorado and Cal. A preview of what was said about the UA: "The Wildcats are outstanding at receiver, good on the offensive line and solid at safety. There are questions just about everywhere else, and the strange thing is that quarterback may be the least worrisome."
• ESPN also released its "Way-too-early bowl projections" this morning. Both Brett McMurphy and Mark Schlabach have Arizona pegged for the Las Vegas Bowl. McMurphy has the UA playing Utah State and Schlabach says it will be Boise State. Arizona State is projected to go to the Sun Bowl by both writers, and Oregon is the Rose Bowl pick as of now.
• A site you should bookmark, everydayshouldbesaturday.com, offers a very humorous look at the Pac-12 conference, identifying the worst-case scenarios for each team in the league. A sample: Washington State: "Mike Leach finds out where you keep the key to the armory." You'll laugh at ASU's and won't be amused with Arizona's. It's still worth your time.
• Enjoyed this story on center Steven Gurrola and the UA's offensive line last week from Kevin Gemmell of the ESPN Pac-12 blog.
• This one is a little late, but the Pittsburgh Steelers official site wrote about former UA cornerback Shaq Richardson and his new position coach, Carnell Lake, who recruited Richardson to UCLA. It also includes a video interview with Richardson.
• Here's a breakdown of the contract for former UA linebacker Marquis Flowers, who was drafted in the sixth round by the Bengals.